Chinese Chinese Key for pocket watch .

Muppet 62

New User
May 20, 2022
Country
Hi . Can anyone give me any information about this key please .
Thank you .

image.jpg

Reactions: Bernhard J.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Welcone to the board.

I can recognise one or two characters but not enough to translate it. However, I can tell you that you have posted it with all the characters upside down!

Perhaps you could post another picture with the key the other way up. There are people on here who may be able to read it for you, but it would be easier to have the text the right way up..

Is there anything on the other side?

JTD

Muppet 62

New User
May 20, 2022
Country
Welcone to the board.

I can recognise one or two characters but not enough to translate it. However, I can tell you that you have posted it with all the characters upside down!

Perhaps you could post another picture with the key the other way up. There are people on here who may be able to read it for you, but it would be easier to have the text the right way up..

Is there anything on the other side?

JTD
Hi,
Sorry I didn’t realise . I will post a picture of both sides .
Thank you for replying.

many thanks Julie..

image.jpg image.jpg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Hi Julie,

Sorry that it has taken a while to get back to you, but was hoping someone with more knowledge would come forward. In the meantime I sent your photos to a Chinese friend of mine, a university lecturer. She replied to me the following:

You may be surprised but this item is not Chinese, it is a small Japanese coin, produced in 19th century, which has been made into a watch key.

This coin is called Ichibugin, it was worth one quarter of a Ryo. These ichibugin were made of silver and they weigh about 8.5 grams. You can read more about them in the internet.

I hope this may answer your question and perhaps be of interest to others.

JTD

Muppet 62

New User
May 20, 2022
Country
Hi Julie,

Sorry that it has taken a while to get back to you, but was hoping someone with more knowledge would come forward. In the meantime I sent your photos to a Chinese friend of mine, a university lecturer. She replied to me the following:

You may be surprised but this item is not Chinese, it is a small Japanese coin, produced in 19th century, which has been made into a watch key.

This coin is called Ichibugin, it was worth one quarter of a Ryo. These ichibugin were made of silver and they weigh about 8.5 grams. You can read more about them in the internet.

I hope this may answer your question and perhaps be of interest to others.

JTD
Hello JTD.

Thank you so much for sharing this information with me it’s very much appreciated

I will certainly take a look now I know what I’m actually searching for .
Hope you enjoy the rest of the weekend.
With kind regards

julie .

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Hello JTD.

Thank you so much for sharing this information with me it’s very much appreciated

I will certainly take a look now I know what I’m actually searching for .
Hope you enjoy the rest of the weekend.
With kind regards

julie .

Glad I could help.

JTD

Reactions: Muppet 62

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceferino
Encyclopedia Pages