Chinese automaton wrist watch

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Bill Manders, Aug 25, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bill Manders

Bill Manders Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Prince George
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi all,
    I have had this watch given to me recently, not that I am a fan of this type of watch, but seeing as it was an automaton, I figured why not.
    I had expected it to be a quartz movement, but it was a wind up movement. I think it might have 19 jewels, as I see 19 on the movement, other than that I can tell you nothing.
    The finish on the movement seemed to be slightly better than other watches I have had of the same ilk.
    The automaton, is the fact that , I believe it to be a picture of Mao, his arm moves up and own with every second that passes, as well as having a second hand.
    I am looking for the maker, if possible, when it was made, if possible, and what it says on the back bezel, if possible.
    Any information would be and is appreciated, or any comments are welcomed good or bad, seeing it was a freeby to me, there is nothing to lose.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Bill

chinese watch 002.JPG chinese watch 003.JPG chinese watch 004.JPG chinese watch 002.JPG

2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Freebie watches are always good in my book. I do like some Russian made time pieces, and i have a few of them. Cant add any more to this. If you like it, thats all that matters.

3. Bill Manders

NAWCC Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Prince George
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree Kevin, free is always good.
    I think this watch would be out of the 50's, just by the appearance of it and the fact that it does seem to have Mao's picture on it, that of course is just a guess from me !! Also upon looking further what I thought was a 19, now looks like an 18, so what do I know. I was kind of hoping someone who knows Chinese could tell me the inscription on the back case, that might give me manufacture date, and maker, who knows.
    Bill

4. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    #4 JTD, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    The 19 (or 18) Zuan stands for the number of jewels. This watch is Seagull brand was made by the Tianjin Watch Factory (written on the back), which started in the early 1960s, so your watch cannot be older than that.

Ywes, it is Mao Tse Tung depicted on the dial. Some have his 'little red book' in his hand which moves.

These were cheap, mass produced watches available to all, but they usually run well.

Hope this helps a little.

JTD

5. Bill Manders

NAWCC Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Prince George
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    JTD,
    That was exactly what I was looking for, you have answered all of my questions.
    Thanks,
    Bill

Kevin W. likes this.
  6. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    You are welcome.

JTD

Kevin W. likes this.