Chinese 555 Clock Company Wall Clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by bchen100, May 20, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bchen100

bchen100 Registered User

May 13, 2010
    Retired Police officer, now running an organic foo
    Israel
    Country Flag:
    I have been offered a Chinese clock which according to my research on the logo was manufactured by the Shanghai 555 Clock Company. The owner states that it has been in his family around 40 years at least.
    I am not familiar with Chinese clocks but this one looked interesting, so in spite of the fact that the back was screwed shut and I couldnt get any shots of the movement, I took some photos with my cellphone which I am enclosing (excuse the quality)
    The clock seems to be a mixture of styles with brass ornaments that seem a little out of place with the painted glass design. I did notice in one of the earlier threads that someone stated that these clocks were manufactured for the Chinese market and not for export so may seem a little strange in design to western eyes.
    If anyone can enlighten me about this clock - I would appreciate any information.
    It has a very nice chime and seems to be in good working order.
    Thanks in advance.
    Photo-0038.jpg Photo-0042.jpg Photo-0039.jpg Photo-0040.jpg Photo-0041.jpg

2. potek2

potek2 New Member

Nov 14, 2012
    Hello
    Can you send more pics of details? Or, contact the owner? I like and try to earn some extra money missing elements wooden cabinet.
    Peter from Warsaw zegar pekala shanghai china.jpg zegar pekali werk.jpg
    thanks

3. bchen100

bchen100 Registered User

May 13, 2010
    Retired Police officer, now running an organic foo
    Israel
    Country Flag:
    Hello Peter
    Sorry but I cant help you. In the end I decided not to buy the clock so do not have it in my possession.

4. potek2

potek2 New Member

Nov 14, 2012
    OK, but still thanks for your message and your post. It is the only trace of the clock on the Internet. Even the Chinese do not show their products in history. I think the factory does not exist. Probably arose in the era of Mao's Cultural Revolution. I do not want to probably go back.
    In your photo you can see what I lack in my clock. I'll tell you that I found it in the attic. 13/11/2012 It's one of tension and is very accurate. The mechanism did well, but the average case. Maybe it's because on the face of China's only words, can the internal market.
    Thanks

5. ClockMR

ClockMR Registered User

Jul 2, 2014
    potek2, I recently bought one of those clocks just it has all the gold pieces missing.