Chiming on the Hour and Half hour mix up...Dumb Blond Question...

Claireinwoodbridge

Mar 22, 2013
(I hope I don't aggravate anyone with this stupid question, because it's such a silly problem, but I don't know how to fix it. Sorry!)

I turned the minute hand back for daylight savings time (back in the fall) and since then, my clocks (both of them...Yes I did it to both) do a single chime on the hour and multiple chime on the half hour. Is there an easy fix or do I need to get it repaired? Sorry...I don't have a clue, and I hope I'm not a total pain!

Thanks,

Claire

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Try this, Claire: Turn the minute hand to the 11, then back to the 9. If it strikes, do it again. If it strikes differently, you have a countwheel movement. You can repeat that motion until the strike is one less than where you hour hand is pointing. Then do it one more time (for the half hour). Now turn it to the 12 and it should strike correctly. Set the time by stopping each half hour to let the strike complete before continuing. Next fall, just stop the clocks for one hour and restart them :)

Claireinwoodbridge

Mar 22, 2013
I think you've solved my problem!!! I just followed your directions, and I think it's back on track. Let me listen until the top of the hour! Thanks so much!

Claire

Claireinwoodbridge

Mar 22, 2013
So, Can I ask another question? The W&H Sch clock points to the chimes too many times; for example, the hour hand is pointing to two o'clock, and it chimes seven. Did the repair person put the hands on incorrectly and how do I fix that problem?

Thanks again!

Claire

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi, Claire, welcome to the message board. You can fix your last problem by moving the HOUR hand ahead 5 hours.
Then stop the clock until the time is correct, or advance the MINUTE hand ahead 5 hours, stopping each half hour to let it strike. Either way, you will end up at the same place. Good to see another Canuck on the message board.

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
ALso, there is usually a lever on the side of the movement that can be tripped
while the clock is around 5 0r 10 minutes after the hour.
It will cause the strike to advance, one half hour ( assuming you have a half
hour strike ).
This or one of the other methods mentioned above should work.
You don't need to repair the clock.
Tinker Dwight

Claireinwoodbridge

Mar 22, 2013
Hi, Claire, welcome to the message board. You can fix your last problem by moving the HOUR hand ahead 5 hours.
Then stop the clock until the time is correct, or advance the MINUTE hand ahead 5 hours, stopping each half hour to let it strike. Either way, you will end up at the same place. Good to see another Canuck on the message board.
Thanks Dwight! I am so happy with the response. I have sorted out the clock in the kitchen, now I just have to get the W & H Sch sorted out, and it should be good to go! Thanks to you and the other helpful souls!

Claire

BTW, by chance, are you in the Toronto area?

Doryc11

Apr 17, 2021
Country
Try this, Claire: Turn the minute hand to the 11, then back to the 9. If it strikes, do it again. If it strikes differently, you have a countwheel movement. You can repeat that motion until the strike is one less than where you hour hand is pointing. Then do it one more time (for the half hour). Now turn it to the 12 and it should strike correctly. Set the time by stopping each half hour to let the strike complete before continuing. Next fall, just stop the clocks for one hour and restart them :)
I am having the same problem with my La Bonn mantel clock. I did not move the hands backwards but it had wound down and stopped. I wound it and set the correct time and it started chiming the hour on the half hour and the half hour on the hour, it also stops after about 2 hours. I’d like to try this but want to be sure I understand what you are saying, turn my minute hand to the 11 then move the minute hand backwards to the 9? I’ve always heard to never move the hands backwards. Thanks for any help, Dory

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
I am having the same problem with my La Bonn mantel clock. I did not move the hands backwards but it had wound down and stopped. I wound it and set the correct time and it started chiming the hour on the half hour and the half hour on the hour, it also stops after about 2 hours. I’d like to try this but want to be sure I understand what you are saying, turn my minute hand to the 11 then move the minute hand backwards to the 9? I’ve always heard to never move the hands backwards. Thanks for any help, Dory
You have it right. Try it and let us know. If it messes up we’ll help you get it right.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
There are several ways to resynchronize a count wheel striker. The easiest is to look for a leaver or wire designed for this purpose. A photo of your clock's movement would be helpful, or just the clock might help. Some will actually have instructions on a lable, usually inside the case, or on the back. Willie X

Doryc11

Apr 17, 2021
Country
There are several ways to resynchronize a count wheel striker. The easiest is to look for a leaver or wire designed for this purpose. A photo of your clock's movement would be helpful, or just the clock might help. Some will actually have instructions on a lable, usually inside the case, or on the back. Willie X
This is my clock
1618702037133.jpeg 41D787D5-50AB-41F4-B2C0-582A4DDC3AEC.jpeg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
On most Ansonias, you simply turn the minute hand past the hour and then back (carefully) until you hear a click, then up past the hour again, repeat until the correct hour is struck.

Might be better to find the count lever, it's an "L" shaped wire in front of the right mainspring in your photo. Watch this area, while your clock is striking. The count leaver will rise and fall at every count of the strike. If you see the count lever just raise and release it, with a pencil or a bamboo skew. Each time you lift and release it, the count will advance one step. Willie X

Please wait for others to verify.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I don't see a count wheel in your Ansonia. It may well be a rack and snail setup. For those, the easiest thing to do is just move the hour hand to the correct number that the clock is striking. Then set the clock turning the minute hand and pausing at each hour and half for the strikes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluemax
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre