Chime rod help

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by ClipClock, Apr 18, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ClipClock

ClipClock Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Run small business manufacturing equestrian sector
    Kent, UK
    Country Flag:
    Morning all, I've got a clock thats suppoed to strike on 4 chime rods. One of the rods was snapped off at the taper, but still in the case.

The rods look like they are plugged into steel (maybe?) holders which plass through holes in the chime block and are then peened the other side, not screwed.

I drilled out the old holder (horrid job) and turned down a piece of steel (a nail actually lol) so that it was a tight friction fit in the block. Then drilled a hole in it and inserted the tapered rod. It was all a very snug fit.

Anyhow my problem is it sounds awful, just a dull thump.

I tried drilling a new test hole in a piece of brass in case my old steel nail was the problem, but it sounds rubbish in that too

Cant think how to test if the rod is the problem and really not sure what to do next. Any suggestions?

2. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime rod sets for antique clocks - please inquire
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The taper is probably not the correct shape. It has to be just right or else the rod will not ring out. I would look into finding or making new rods. You can take some steel or copper 3.3 MM straight wire and taper it with a lathe. Use the existing rods as a guide. Once trimmed to length, you peen the rods by flattening the captive end with a pressing tool just before they are tapped into the block. Once tapped, they are not meant to be normally removed.

3. ClipClock

ClipClock Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Run small business manufacturing equestrian sector
    Kent, UK
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Chimeclockfan, I was kind of hoping you might be around :) Just to check my understanding, there are supposed to be 2 pieces to this, the holder and the rod, its not one piece is it?

4. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime rod sets for antique clocks - please inquire
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    For rods that are tapped into the block, it is just one piece: the rod itself. You may find a smear of epoxy useful for holding the rod's flattened head in the block but I find that very little was used by the original manufacturers.

5. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I know it will not be original, but sometimes I find it is better to drill the hole in the block the proper size to tap it and screw in a rod that already has the screw end on it. Be sure it is plenty long so you can gradually grind the end, raising the pitch to the exact frequency in the Westminster tune. I use a Dremel tool with a diamond cutting wheel to do that. Hope that helps.