Help Chime rod card

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by disciple_dan, Apr 24, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. disciple_dan

disciple_dan Registered User
    Donor

Mar 10, 2016
    Male
    Plant City
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Does anyone know how to install one of these rod cards? I'm putting it on a simple Westminster chime block. Thanks, Danny
    20200424_154819Chimecard.jpg

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It doesn't belong in a clock, but it appears to be a device for moving the clock. The punch out holes will press upward from the bottom of the chime rods and hold them separated and firm so they don't bounce around during transport.

3. disciple_dan

Donor

Mar 10, 2016
    Male
    Plant City
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Oh, you're trying to be funny. I get now. I was wondering what to do with that top flap. Does it slip up behind the movement somehow and hold the leader and crutch? I've tried it a couple of ways but it doesn't seem to fit in any logical way.
    Should I take the leader and suspension spring off?

4. disciple_dan

Donor

Mar 10, 2016
    Male
    Plant City
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I figured out something. I think it will work. Now I need to secure the chains. Maybe a long wire through the loops under the seat board. I've moved this clock before without doing this but I want to practice for the real thing. If I get a call to ready a clock for shipping.
    What do you guys do?

5. John Arrowood

John Arrowood Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    You should tie the chains tightly so that they won't have enough slack to slip off the wheels. I speak from experience. Some chains aren't very difficult to put back on the wheels and others such as on 3 train movements are difficult. You may have to remove the back of the case and chime block, unfasten the movement from the seat board and work it carefully out the back opening while trying to lift the chains as you go.

6. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What a strange card sleeve. Looks more like an unraveled Hot Pockets crisping sleeve but with less melted cheese and preservatives. Two rods go in each hole and how many rods go in which holes are instructed on the sleeve.

7. disciple_dan

Donor

Mar 10, 2016
    Male
    Plant City
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, apparently this chime card was designed for Howard Miller cases. The first clock I was fitting it too was a Trend by Sligh clock co. It fit on that Trend like a glove on a rabbit. I have some pics of it on the HM and it fits perfectly. The top flaps sit on top of the movement and have a notch on the end to fit around the top dial face latch and hold the hammers down. It has a center flap with a hole so when you point it upward on installation it hooks onto the crutch foot and suspends the entire card. I think a customer would be impressed with this kind of shipping preparation. They were very inexpensive too.
    Anyway, thanks for all the comments and help. God bless you all, Danny
    20200425_131711Chime4.jpg 20200425_131731Chime3.jpg