Chime block question

Discussion in 'Clock Construction' started by Rockin Ronnie, Dec 1, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am had a clock case constructed for a Schatz triple chime W3 movement. It was completed by a 90-year-old gentleman in Virginia.

Some months ago I found the movement in an antique shop and paid $15 for it. It came with the clock hands but no chime block. I am looking at several blocks online specifically those that will do a triple chime. I found a chime block for a Hermle but it is too long for the case. What effect is there if I trim off a section on each rod to fit the case?

Ron

RS Schatz clock2.jpg RS Schatz clock1.jpg

2. Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not much traffic here in Clock Construction. Howver, I have recieved the measurements form the builder of the case and it will fit a 7 1/2 inch (longest rod) chime block.

Ron

3. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ron i think it would change the tone, make it lower, if you cut rods shorter. But i am no expert.

4. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think it will be the other way around. If you shorten the rods the notes will be a higher frequency.

David

Kevin W. likes this.
  5. Friendofclocks

Friendofclocks Registered User

Dec 1, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    That's pretty daring, trying to trim chime rods, I would think unless you are very, very skilled. David is correct, above, that the pitch would go up as the rods were shortened. It's like on a guitar, piano, violin, or any other musical instrument.

I think the critical thing is to keep the RATIOS of the chime bar lengths exactly the same in relation to each other. That way, the melodies will be proper and in tune. If the ratio/proportions are kept intact, you'll almost certainly wind up in a change of key (they may be in c major as opposed to b-flat major etc). But if you cut the chimes exactly in half (which I'm sure you won't do), it would be in the same key, but exactly an octave HIGHER in pitch. Cutting the chimes by 25% would make them a half octave higher etc. At least i'm pretty sure that's how it works. On rising it an octave, I'm actually very confident. The intermediate changes I'm less sure.

6. Friendofclocks

Friendofclocks Registered User

Dec 1, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    If the case parts are 3/4" wood, it seems quite conceivable you could cut out some of the wood (it would only be where the longest chime rod would go) . As long as you left 1/8 inch thick (or be daring, 1/16th") wall remaining, it would be invisible to the outside of the clock and would have no bearing on the structural integrity. If your chime is just 1/2" (or even slightly more) too long, I bet you could just cut out some of the wood to accommodate the chime. It would be just one chime rod. It might even just entail drilling a hole there, using a bore about twice (maybe 3x) the thickness of the chime rod to accommodate its vibration. Or remove some wood on the other side, where the block goes, making a recess to slide it partially into the wall. In other words, you might be able to remove up to 1.25" of wood on both ends combined, without affecting the appearance or integrity of the case. I'd be curious if that is feasible- and in any case probably a better better bet than trimming the chimes.

7. Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting thoughts and suggestions. My son is bringing the clock back from Virginia this Christmas. I will then have a chance to look at it tclosely o determine if a chime block will fit. I am relluctant to trim the rods at this point but I will see what I need to do when it arrives.
    Ron

8. Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The clock case is larger than I thought which is not a bad thing. The work on the case is exceptional for someone who did not have much if any, experience with clocks and clock movements and I am impressed.

The clock measures 16 inches high X 11 1/2 inches wide X 7 inches deep. The inside width is 8 1/2 inches; ample room for a triple chime block. No need to trim the rods.

The chime block is on order and I am anxious to hear the sound.

RS Schatz_17.jpg

9. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Let us know how it sounds when you get the chime bar installed. Nice looking clock.

10. Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The chime block arrived. It is a Hermle 8 rod triple chime and the rods are copper. I used shims to prop the chime bar temporarily and the chimes sound good but I am not getting the volume I thought I would. Suggestions.