Chicago Watch Case Co. Info

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Gordian, Nov 30, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gordian

Gordian Registered User

Aug 10, 2009
    I have recently acquired a Waltham 1883, 13j swing-out watch, serial #2787460, production date 1886, cased in a CWC Co. case. Am researching the case company. I understand that cases with the 1/4 moon and star trade mark prior to 1885 would have been made by the Chicago WC Co.

As the trade mark on my watch differs substantially from the Crescent WC Co., I would assume this was in fact manufactured prior to 1885.

The logo reads: PAT APR 79 CWC Co 17027 with a Star centered between points of 1/4 moon. There is no mention of "warranted" or "guaranteed". Is there a reference to the Chicago WC Co. case grades? Or do those of the Crescent WC Co. apply?

BTW, Roger Nolfe did a masterful job restoring this watch for me.

TIA

Attached Files:

2. John Pavlik

John Pavlik Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Male
    Green Bay, Wi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe that your case may have been made by the Crescent Watch Case Co..depending on the year of the movement..Chicago was a predesessor of Crescent..

Attached Files:

3. Robert Sweet

Robert Sweet Registered User

Apr 29, 2004
    Country Flag:
    The "Swing Ring" case was patented by Ezra Charles Fitch in April, 1879. Mr. Fitch was President of the Waltham-Watch Co. from about 1886 to 1921-22.

The Watch Case part of the Waltham-Watch-Co. was purchased by the Crescent-Watch-Case-Co. about 1890-91.

The trademark shown on your case was originally owned by the American-Waltham Watch Case Co. and would have passed to the Crescent Watch Case Co. as part of the purchase. The trademark is shown below.

Robert

Attached Files:

4. Gordian

Gordian Registered User

Aug 10, 2009
    Thanks John. As I stated, the watch was produced in 1886, approx. one year after Crescent bought out the Chicago WC Co. The 1/4 moon and star trademark on this case is quite different than the Crescent registered trademark.

I was questioning whether it might be an older Chicago WC Co. case made before their demise or merger. Seeing it was so close to the changeover, probably part of an existing jeweler's stock?

Gordon
    -> posts merged by system <-
    Ahah, that makes it clearer Robert. As the watch was manufactured in 1886, it is either an original WW Co produced case, or the movement was recased in a Crescent made case later on.

As it looks original to the movement (but who am to judge!) would lean toward it being made by the A.W.W.C Co., unless there was some manner of time travel involved. :D

Gordon

5. Time992

Time992 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Male
    Retired
    Binghamton
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hey John, which book did the case photo come from?

6. John Pavlik

John Pavlik Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Male
    Green Bay, Wi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very helpful book, with many many case marks..Buy all the watch books you can find, the knowledge gained will be more than you paid..

DSCN7976.jpg

terry hall likes this.
  7. Andy Dervan

Andy Dervan Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Tia,

American Watch Co. sold their watch case business in 1880-1882 not 1890, because company needed space in the factory.

Andy

8. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Apparently, there were several portions of Waltham's watch case business since news reports of the time state that Waltham sold its silver watch case manufacturing business to the Crescent Watch Case Co. in 1890, followed by the crown-making business in 1894.

9. HandsomeStranger

HandsomeStranger New Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Hi All
    I recently purchased a Pocket Watch with the Crescent Moon with the Star inside it but no writing, No "Trade Mark" or C.W.C.C or A.W.W.C.C and the logo appears on both the movement and the case, The case has a serial number 1721 and a faint Circle with 2 letters, The 1st i cant read and the 2nd is either a B or R but i thinks its more likely a B, Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    New Member Steven

10. Kerry Chipman

Kerry Chipman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2017
    I have virtually the same watch. The case number is 20409, the symbol looks the same and the C.W.C.Co looks the same. but it's missing the words "PAT APR 79" above the logo. My movement number is 2665313. Did you ever verify if the case is GF or solid or does anyone know?