• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Chester Boardman American Clock Manufacturer

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I just acquired a little steeple clock with a good label that says it was manufactured by Chester Boardman. I never heard of Chester in the Boardman family. Anyone have information on him?

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Spittlers and Bailey's Clockmakers and Watchmakers of America puts him in Plymouth ca. 1842-45 and mentions a steeple with brass spring movement - "movement by E. C. Brewster, Bristol." You might check the online Bulletin index to see if some past issues mention him. You got pictures? It would be interesting to see.

Missed something. There was also a Chester Boardman & Co. in Plymouth ca. 1855, using Brewster & Sons movements, among others. Apparently there are steeple clocks found with this label.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
I just acquired a little steeple clock with a good label that says it was manufactured by Chester Boardman. I never heard of Chester in the Boardman family. Anyone have information on him?
In my experience not a common maker or most likely retailer or assembler?

Don't know how/if he relates to Chauncey Boardman?

Skinner had a beehive a few years ago:

9559421_1_l.jpg

Didn't sell for much $$.

I too would love to see pix of your clock including works and label.

RM

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Yes, the retailer/assembler angle is probable, I think. Interesting, too, is the suggestion of an association to both Brewster (movements) and Ingraham (beehive and steeple cases).

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Here's some pictures. Note that the label does say 'manufactured by'.
I'm not sure I'd necessarily interpret "manufactured by" to indicate that Boardman made either case or movement. It doesn't rule out the possibility but doesn't confirm either, IMO. I've seen the same or similar language used by assemblers/retailers. Anyways, howzabout a picture of the movement? Suggestions are that the clock may contain a Brewster & Sons movement. Is the glass original, you think? I wonder.

Last edited:

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Here's some pictures. Note that the label does say 'manufactured by'.
Thanks for the pix.

Case looks to be pretty nice.

Like the alarm. Does it have a brass spring? Looks like it may. If so, a plus.

Nice clean label, too.

I agree that the use of "manufactured by" does not necessarily mean "made from scratch". This claim is found rather often on the labels of clocks by a number of firms that are known to have assembled or even offered complete clocks made by others. No truth in advertising in those days I guess.

I'm not sure the tablet is original. However, in some ways it may be better than what was originally there as it does appear to be hand painted.

I second the request for movement pix.

By the by, it does appear that the lower movement mounting block may be a replacement...too fresh looking.

RM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lpgp
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent