Cheshire Model 1 or 2 or Both?

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Kevin Neathery, Aug 6, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kevin Neathery

Kevin Neathery Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 15, 2018
    Male
    IT Security
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I will have this one on the way shortly. I thought it was a M1 and then a M2 but was not looking as close as I bid. It was just a great condition Cheshire of a model I did not have. I only had a M3 until now and some Appleton. This one though warrants extra inspection once it arrives.

The condition looks extremely good. Even color to the plates and balance cock. The case appears to be correct as does the dial. The dial looks like a M1 dial. The way the balance cock matches M1 and M2 but the lack of seconds is like a M1. Then I got to thinking, the plate shape is that of a M2 but the attached stem is in the M1 position. So it is like a M1 with an M2 plate but in a M1 attached stem configuration. Thoughts?

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

pmwas, Keith R... and PatH like this.
  2. Bila

Bila Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Country Flag:
    Hello Kevin,

This is a 18 Size Model 2, the Model 2 was made with Stem Attached:)

Erin

3. Kevin Neathery

NAWCC Member

May 15, 2018
    Male
    IT Security
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Erin,

It is always good to hear from you. The model 2 stem attachment was made at a different location than on the model 1. The stem attachment location on this one is the same as a model 1. If not for the plate shape it could almost pass as a model 1. I also need to confirm once it arrives that it is either 18 or 20 size. The seller listed at 20 size but they are not a watch shop.

You know I like mysteries. :)

Also, I wonder what the meaning is of the star stamped .into the pillar plate is. So far I don't see it on any model 2 and model 1 are covered at that location.

4. Bila

Bila Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Country Flag:
    Glad to see you are still looking for the unusual Kevin:) to Dad's knowledge and from his notations he made on these, although with the stem where it is, it is still a Model 2 in his opinion and should be close to an 18 Size. It will interesting to see once you have it in hand, take care.

Erin

5. Bila

Bila Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Country Flag:
    I just had a dig around for some of Dad's Cheshire's Kevin, and had another look through his notations, he has a little side-note with a reference to the size of the Model 1 & 2's. He has stated that the Fat Book (Pocket watch guide) is incorrect with regard to the 18 Size on the model 2's, in all the ones he has had measured and observed the stem attached movements are all 20 Size (so please disregard my comments in the previous post about the Model 2 size, as I have re-read his notes) and the distinguishing feature between the 2 was the cut plate at the balance cock . The 18 Size did not start until the introduction of the Model 3 by his notes.

Kevin Neathery likes this.
  6. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Congratulations on the watch, Kevin! I had my eye on it, then got busy and forgot to check back and bid. Glad someone here got it.

Erin, thanks for the additional insight on this watch, and it's great to hear that someone has this type of information on the Cheshire's.

7. Kevin Neathery

NAWCC Member

May 15, 2018
    Male
    IT Security
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Was just thinking, still early in digging.....

Did they make any M1 with seconds? Did they make any M2 without?

8. Bila

Bila Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Country Flag:
    #8 Bila, Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    To Dad's knowledge Kevin he has not ever seen a Model 1 with a seconds bit, model 2's were produced with a seconds bit later in their production cycle (these are the ones with the stem attached in a different position, but are still a model 2), the earlier ones were not and all the model 3's where produced with the seconds bit:)

Kevin Neathery likes this.
  9. Bila

Bila Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Pat, I will pass it on to Dad:)

PatH likes this.
  10. Kevin Neathery

NAWCC Member

May 15, 2018
    Male
    IT Security
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Erin, you and Bila are great!

11. Bila

Bila Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Country Flag:
    Just bumping this up to keep it in the minds of everyone that we are still needing more serial numbers for the Cheshire Watch Company:)