Chelsea Zig Zag Clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by inbeat, Jul 24, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. inbeat

inbeat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Male
    Retired
    Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Purchased at the North West Regional this month in Portland. As described in the Demeter's Chelsea Clock book, cased in a brass case and painted satin black. "It includes two electrical terminals mounted on the side of the case for attachment to a ship's steering servos. An cam mounted on the rear of the movement opens and closes, causing a ship to automatically change course to deter an enemy submarine from plotting an accurate torpedo solution."
    From the serial number this one was made in 1982. 311401.jpg

Attached Files:

2. River rat

River rat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    I collect military time pieces and got a few US Navy ships clocks in the collection mainly due to I retired from the US Navy was in from 1980-2002. I was boatswains mate of the watch in charge of a watch section on the bridge the lee helm and the helm, status board, port and starboard look out and aft steering and fantail look out and messenger . We did not zigzag any more at that time. I am wondering if yours was recased with a WW2 era case since they zigzagged with a 1980 era movement ? I was on a Ammo ship in 1982 and if any ship had to be trained in zigzag we would of been it since we were a floating bomb one hit and we were gone we never zigzagged being on the bridge so much I would of seen it done and would of done it.

3. inbeat

inbeat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Male
    Retired
    Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My understanding is the the older model zig zags were cased in phenolic cases while the "current" models (marked U.S. Government) are in the brass cases painted satin black. The serial number as stated dates this clock to 1982....so not a re-cased WWII model. The book "Chelsea Clock Company The First Hundred Years", second edition marked December 2014, indicates that this model is in current production. I have no explanation as to why your ship did not have a zig zag.