Chelsea timesaver model

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Artillero, Apr 15, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Artillero

Artillero Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2014
    Engineer
    Nevada and California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gentlemen,
    I have a couple of questions for the Chelsea aficionados. I am not finding much information about the Chelsea Timesaver model other than that it was manufactured during WW2 and into the early 1950's. What movement was used in this model and was it better worse or the same as the other movements produced by the company? Was this style primarily supplied to the US Government and how common were the nickel plated models compared to the brass cased models? Attached is a picture.

Thank you,
    Artillero

[​IMG]

2. James McDermaid

James McDermaid Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 29, 2011
    It appears to be a 12E style movement which is a good clock. You should find a serial number on the back of the movement which will date it.

Likely 7 jewel movement.

You remove the screws holding the face to the case and I lift it up by the winding key until I can get my fingers under the edge.

By WW2 most cases were Bakelite due to the need for metal by the military. So Brass was scarce and nickle plating probably a little more scarce in these years.

A lot of Chelsea clocks are in a different case than they started life in.

Seems like a bunch of parts for these on ebay including new faces and Chelsea official winding keys.

Jim

3. Artillero

Artillero Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2014
    Engineer
    Nevada and California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you for the info, Jim.