• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Chelsea Ships Clock with electrical contacts

watchwldr940

Nov 26, 2008
Today I picked up a time only Chelsea Ships Clock with a 6" dial. It has two electrical contacts coming out of the case at the 4:30 position, and these are connected to a wire that is in turn connected to the center of the movement. Can anyone tell me what this setup is for? It is a mechanical movement with a sweep second center hand, and the serial numbers on the case and movement match, and seem to date the clock to the late 70's to 1980. I can try to post pics a little later. Thanks. George

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I will move this to the Electric Horology forum but will also leave a 30-day redirect so it can be accessed from the new acquisitions forum as well. I think it may do better in Electric Horology. In the meantime, do post pictures so we can help you better.

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Deceased
Aug 24, 2000
Region
It is likely that the wires on the subject Chelsea clock connect to an electrical contact switch in the movement that makes connection every fifteen minutes.

Such schemes were used during WWII to sound an alarm or signal in the wheelhouse to change course. The dials on most of these zig-zag clocks were colored in quarters.

I would think that the face on your Chelsea clock would be unique in the same way.

There are other uses for electrical contacts inside a military clock but without some clear photos of your clock and including pictures of the movement, I have no other thoughts as to why a Chelsea clock would have electrical connections.

Chelsea did make some electrical automobile clocks for a few years around 1913. They're the same looking as a Chelsea automobile clock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB767
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent