Help Chelsea Ship's Bell sticking strike

Monte87

Mar 7, 2020
Country
Hi -
I have a lovely Chelsea Ship's Bell that was striking quite normally. But now it is striking only if I touch the hammer... The switch is on the strike position of course and I follow the directions from Chelsea on setting, winding, etc.

I can hear the warn and strike actions preparing as the clock runs. When it is time to strike, I observe the striking mechanism through the back cover hole. The hammer will be raised and ready to fall. If I gently touch the hammer or lever the clock runs through the proper strike sequence.

I didn't want to start indiscriminately oiling things so any suggestions on how to correct are greatly appreciated!

- thanks!

IMG_8547.JPG IMG_8546.JPG

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
Maybe your clock has a power problem in the strike train so that the initial lift of the hammer is a problem. Perhaps it is time for a service of the clock?

Uhralt

Reactions: Willie X

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
That's what I suspect as well. Unless the hammer is in the raised position when the warning ends.

Monte87

Mar 7, 2020
Country
That's what I suspect as well. Unless the hammer is in the raised position when the warning ends.
Yes, the hammer is in fact in the raised position when the warning ends... It's as if the hammer just get stuck in the raised position.

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
This means that the movement has been re-assembled slightly incorrectly on the strike side. The position of the wheels in relationship with each other needs to be corrected. At the end of the warning the hammer must still be in the resting position. If you are not familiar with assembling a striking clock it would be better to have a repair shop do this for you.

Uhralt

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You could probably correct this one with the gathering pallet. The train needs to lock with the hammer down so the train can come to speed before it tries to lift the hammers. There shouldn't be any lifting during warning. Yours is probably stalling because it doesn't have enough oomph to overcome the strike return spring after the warning tensioned it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
manus2eire
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-