Chelsea Ship's Bell Clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Armando Alcaraz, Oct 10, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Armando Alcaraz

Armando Alcaraz Registered User

Sep 4, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello again, I recently acquired a Chelsea Ship's Clock that I have been able to get to run and it is keeping good time. I would like to know if I should restore the finish or leave it as is. It has a lot of "Muck" on the surface of the housing. It is set in it's original wooden base and Chelsea Key and has a Ship's Steering Wheel around it.

20181010_152023.jpg 20181010_152033.jpg 20181010_152044.jpg 20181010_152054.jpg 20181010_152059.jpg 20181010_152117.jpg 20181010_152133.jpg

2. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Its a question of personal taste. I personally like these clocks shiny and would polish the brass.

Uhralt

Armando Alcaraz likes this.
  3. Levi Hutchins

Levi Hutchins Registered User

Oct 21, 2012
    Whether it is a question of the clock showing its venerable age, it would be worth checking out the serial number on the back of the movement:

Serial Numbers

I would guess circa 1950.

(It would be advisable to replace the two missing screws on the dial. (^8)

4. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    if it were mine, I would polish it up.

5. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    Nice clock...first of all warm soapy water on the metal and wood soap on the base and then review.Too many times the case and base are "attacked" with abrasive cleaners with out looking at a semi cleaned surface.
    Regards,
    Bruce

6. ClockMogul

ClockMogul Registered User

Oct 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  7. claussclocks

claussclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Look it over carefully before doing an in depth polishing. Some of those Chelsea yacht style clocks, the outer ring is bronzed and not bright brass. You would not want to damage that contrasting finish. If you shine it up will you lacquer or wax it to deter fingerprints and re-oxidation.

8. the 3rd dwarve

the 3rd dwarve Registered User

Nov 3, 2000
    Armando,

I enlarged your pictures as much as I could and it looks to me like your clock has been exposed to salt air for an extended time frame resulting in serious degradation of the case. The green crusty spots and small fuzzy white streaks I see on the surface lead me to believe your case has bronze disease. Left untreated this will only get worse.

Basically what happens to brass in a salt air environment is some of the copper in the brass reacts with the salt and moisture in the air and forms cuprous chloride (a white salt) and cupric chloride (a green salt). Once this has started any moisture in the air will perpetuate the process.

Here’s a link to a previous discussion on bronze disease:

? Removing green tarnish from an E. Howard bob.

Please keep us posted on what you do to this case.

Good luck,

D~

9. Armando Alcaraz

Sep 4, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you to all who have replied. I will make sure to replace what is missing, wash, clean and shine what I can an assure that she get the TLC she needs!!

10. Armando Alcaraz

Sep 4, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    My serial number is between 1970/74-1975/79. It's somewhere in the middle.

11. Armando Alcaraz

Sep 4, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    The bath seems like the better way to assure that everything gets naturalized. Thanks for the link!