Chelsea ships bell case

Garydw

Dec 19, 2001
Hello
At the last chapter meeting I purchased a 1917 Red Brass Chelsea Desk Clock case and dial that has been disassembled and no movement. The rate adjustment is below the 12. So the great hunt begins. So if anyone who can provide answers to the following would greatly appreciated. While this model comes in a variety of sizes (mine is a 6 inch) are the movements the same size and the dials different which would mean any ship bell movement with the rate adjustment near the 12 would work? An exploded diagram for the case might be helpful too, that way I know if I have all the pieces.

IMG_0365.jpg P1050994.JPG

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
How can you date the case to 1917 - Chelsea made similar case styles for many years?

It takes an early Chelsea ship's bell 4L movement.

Check Mart for Chelsea clock repairers - Len Taube in Florida might be a good source.

Andy Dervan

Garydw

Dec 19, 2001
Thanks for the information, I reached out to Mr. Taube and based on the markings on the case he indicated I needed a vintage movement for this Desk clock and that it was from 1917. Can you tell me what years Chelsea made the 4L movement and if it was used for various size dials. I will reach out to other Chelsea repair persons listed in the mart.

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
reach out to jim dyson at chelseaclockmuseum.com ... also, the ships bell cases have serial numbers

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
Mr. Taube is the right gentleman; he was main Chelsea repair person for 35 years before he left and started his repair business. He would know where available Chelsea movements might exist and knows all Chelsea collectors including Jim Dyson and others.

Andy Dervan

Reactions: SteveC1964

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garyray
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-