Chelsea Ship Clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Ed Bradshaw, Apr 3, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ed Bradshaw

Ed Bradshaw Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Chelsea back of case.jpg

Chelsea.jpg Chelsea movement.jpg Chelsea Behind Dial.jpg

Look at the back of the dial and please add your comments
    Thanks
    Ed

2. claussclocks

claussclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Based on the serial number this clock was made between 1970-1974

Is the dial discolored or is that a shadow?

3. Ed Bradshaw

NAWCC Member

Oct 11, 2011
    The case serial number is 236.056 which was manufactured between 1935 and 1939
    On the back of the dial is written “Purchest & Overhault be Jim Kechatias Idaho Falls Idaho 6-1-71 from the ship Arizona” (the spelling is as shown) I am not sure about “Kechatias" as it is hard to read.o
    The movement was obviously installed 6-1-71
    My question is : Can the case be from the ship Arizona?

4. Ed Bradshaw

NAWCC Member

Oct 11, 2011
    the dial face is not discolored, just a bad picture

5. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    Unless it was surveyed you would have to dive to get it then be arrested.

6. Ed Bradshaw

NAWCC Member

Oct 11, 2011
    The Arizona was not always at the bottom of Pearl Harbor, it was sunk December 7, 1941.
    I see the possibility that this clock was installed around 1935 and was sent out for maintenance/repairs prior to the ships sinking. I am asking if anyone that has experience with Chelsea clock records or “ships records” or Idaho Falls person name of Jim Kechatias to look at ALL of the pictures to assist in determining the history of this time piece. The only information I have was written on the back of the dial.

7. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    i think chelsea would be the company to call. they apparently have good records. i've heard some good stories as a result

8. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I looked on Ancestry, couldn't find anyone, can you post a better photo of the name?

9. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
  10. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
  11. Bill K

Bill K Registered User

Aug 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As a US Navy navigator in the early to mid 1970's I was responsible for all my ship's timepieces. I can attest to the fact that during periodic Navy Yard overhauls all USN ships sent their clocks/chronometers off for servicing and it was not unusual for there to be irregularities in the accounting of said items. Some went missing and/or extra clocks were returned, it created a accountability nightmare for the ship's navigator. Outright theft was rare, usually missing/extra clocks simply vanished into a labyrinth of bureaucracy, sometimes to reappear in the civilian world. Since this clock and pre-War case do not date match it is possible that the original works were "surveyed" at some point in the late '30's early '40's but the case became notable after December 7, 1941 and was saved by someone astute, to eventually be reworked in 1971. By then though, almost all USN Chelsea clock cases were made of a impact resistant "Bakelite" type material, were larger and had white or black faces and very different works. This could be a special situation since the only brass face/case Chelseas I remember were a very few in senior officer's shipboard living quarters and they were never sent out during overhaul. Where was this case for 30 years and how, why and who, reworked it? If not done by a USN facility for a senior officer it would have been a very expensive proposition. Sorry this is long but this timepiece has a story to tell and is very interesting.