• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

CHELSEA PILOT HOUSE CLOCK US REVENUE CUTTER SERVICE

Frank Manning

Nov 22, 2005
Vernon, CT
HI everyone,

I have a Chelsea Ships clock that I would like to have information. On the dial it has "pilot House Clock" plus US Revenue Cutter Service. My confusion is then umber on the back of the case which I thought to be the Serial Number. It is 689899 which from what I can see would be in the later part of the 1900's. But, The Cutter service was renamed "The US Coast guard in 1915, which would say the clock was between 1894 and 1915. Could anyone provide some insight. The clock does have the ships bell and is working.

Lil's Chelsea.jpg

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
Your clock may have been recased. The movement serial number should be more relative.... assuming the movement and dial started life together.

Ralph

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
Didn't the various services rotate movements when a clock was sent in for repair or survey? maybe a possible explanation as to the conflicting serial numbers.
Bruce

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
When the movement serial number is determined, the Chelsea Clock Co. can provide some history for a handsome fee. ;) At least, who it went to originally.

Ralph

eastmanj

Jan 5, 2010
HI everyone,

I have a Chelsea Ships clock that I would like to have information. On the dial it has "pilot House Clock" plus US Revenue Cutter Service. My confusion is then umber on the back of the case which I thought to be the Serial Number. It is 689899 which from what I can see would be in the later part of the 1900's. But, The Cutter service was renamed "The US Coast guard in 1915, which would say the clock was between 1894 and 1915. Could anyone provide some insight. The clock does have the ships bell and is working.

View attachment 473581
Frank,
689899 is not the serial number but the clock case patent number, this number is stamped on most all cases. The serial number, which dates the clock, is on the back of the flange near the top flange hole and on the movement back plate. When the clock left the factory these numbers matched. They could have been switched over the years. In the case of your clock the serial number should be a four or five digit number. Chelsea assigned numbers to U. S. Revenue Cutter Service starting in 1903 and ending in 1915, including ship’s bell and time only. Ship’s bell clocks were made in two runs one in 1903 and one in 1904. The numbers for your clock should be in either one of two ranges 6148-7368 or 11591-11865. Hopefully your case and movement match. If they don’t you have a marriage, but hopefully one of the two numbers would be original and in the previous ranges. Call me if you have questions. 757-646-1827. Jim Dyson, www.chelseaclockmuseum.com

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lpgp
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent