Chelsea Clock Question

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Robert J., Feb 15, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Robert J.

Robert J. Registered User
    NAWCC Member Golden Circle

Dec 1, 2008
    Recently I acquired an 8.5" Chelsea Special Dial Mahogany and Metal clock (photo attached).
    S/N 15021dates the clock to 1904. This early clock has enlarged hands which I think
    were only available during early production years. Does anyone have a better idea of the
    years when available?

I've found two other Chelsea examples with the enlarged hands. Both are early (S/N 11778
    and S/N 15230). Interestingly, all three of these examples are 8.5" M & M. So I wonder if
    the enlarged hands were limited to this model and size or were available on other sizes and/or models.

Any information would be much appreciated.

15021 pic.png

2. inbeat

inbeat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Male
    Retired
    Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    These "special hands", were standard on the "special dials." Note the attached numerals on your dial, instead of the engraved or painted on numerals. I have a few of these in different dial sizes and if you note, my profile picture is an 8 1/2" dial base and ball model.

3. Douglas Romero

Douglas Romero Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Male
    Retired IT consult
    New England
    Country Flag:
    Inbeat, sorry I don’t know your name to refer to, but what Robert is referring to as we have exchanged some messages, is that the very early Chelsea’s circa 1904 to approx 1906 or so (my best guesstimate) had a larger hour hand and slightly different formed serpentine hands on the “special” and “special grande” models. You have to look very closely at the early Chelsea’s and the ones that came later.

This is a pix of my 10” dial Commander or Mahogany and Metal as also referred to from 1905.

513E6DAE-E371-4229-B2D8-1160203F5C7E.jpeg

One has to look closely to see the difference in size and shape on later “special” and “special grande” models.

306EE6AB-83AE-40E8-8F2D-4095BEFE292D.jpeg

4. inbeat

inbeat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Male
    Retired
    Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I see what you are talking about now...oops.....In looking at three different models of Chelsea clocks that I own with "special hands" and "special dials", they all differ from your earlier Mahogany and Metal and look identical to your second clock. My earliest "special" hands and dial combo is an 8 1/2" dial Base and Ball is verified shipped by Chelsea in November of 1914. My 1930, Bronze Tambour #5 has the 6 1/2" Special dial with identical hands to the Base and Ball as does my 1906 Doric with a 4" Special dial and hands combo. Thanks...