Cheapo Spring Winder

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
I just bought one of those $6 spring winders, figuring it will do me until I can afford a Real One. As usual, it came with no instructions. Please tell me if my assumptions are correct.

Clamp the wheel onto the winder with the built-in clamp, square end of the arbor sticking up through the round hole in the middle.

Attach the inner end of the spring to the arbor, and the loop end to the post on the winder.

Wind the spring with the regular winding key on the arbor.

When it's wound, secure it with a wire or a spring clamp.

Is any/all of that pretty much correct??

bangster

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
I just bought one of those $6 spring winders, figuring it will do me until I can afford a Real One. As usual, it came with no instructions. Please tell me if my assumptions are correct.

Clamp the wheel onto the winder with the built-in clamp, square end of the arbor sticking up through the round hole in the middle.

Attach the inner end of the spring to the arbor, and the loop end to the post on the winder.

Wind the spring with the regular winding key on the arbor.

When it's wound, secure it with a wire or a spring clamp.

Is any/all of that pretty much correct??

bangster

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
bangster,

Yes, that's pretty much how you use them. For hole-end mainsprings in a barrel, this tool is of no use at all! So it would seem as though the usefulness you'll get out of that winder depends a lot on the kinds of clocks you work on mostly. They are almost essential as a tool for American, open-spring clocks, but I still prefer my Marvel-winder for those. Use gloves and protect your eyes with ANY mainspring winder!

Charles E. Davis

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Nov 6, 2000
La Verne, CA
Country
Region
I have found that many American and Japanese open spring main wheels have such a large diameter click spring that the winders don't give clearance. I have been successful in opening up the clearance by boaring in the lather about another quarter inch in diameter.

R

Rookie

LOL ! I bought one of those 6 dollar winders last year when I first started out. I never did really figure it out . Mine came with no instuctions also. I finially gave up, And got me a Webster off of ebay too. Its a matter of how much you think you will use it, As to how much you want to spend. But, I can tell you this, Messing with a mainspring is my most hated task to do, When working with a movement. The advice I got, Back then, Was don't skimp on the winders. The Ollie-B type winders are really good. But, A little more than I had to spend at the time. After having several mainsprings Burst open unexpectedly, The better winders are well worth it. Also, A good pair of leather gloves, And eye goggles are also recommended .

Regards,
Rookie

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
Before I ever got around to using the $6 winder, I bought one of Joe Collins' exqusitely home made winders from him. So...anybody in the market for a brand new $6 winder, cheap?

bangster

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sam P
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre