Chauncey Jerome Label

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Bruce Barnes, Oct 8, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    Quick question,is there a date difference between a Chauncey Jerome label that shows Bristol Conn and one that shows New Haven while the former is blue,others have been tan in color?
    Thanks,
    Bruce

2. gilbert

gilbert Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I can guess they Bristol one (earlier) may have been a Hartford printer, and later years after the move to New Haven, Benham printers ( In new haven)

3. Jerome collector

Jerome collector Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Geologist, US Army Corps of Engineers
    Omaha, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bruce,
    I'm not certain I understand your question. Bristol labels were never blue to my knowledge, although from 1838-1839 Jerome used a blue paper backing on which a small card label was affixed. Can you provide additional details (or a photo)?
    Mike

4. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    This is the clock that has the C Jerome,Bristol label in it,and it is in my sisters house in Roseville,CA. Sadly I do not have a photo of the label,but it is Blue and says Bristol.Oh well maybe when I get a chance to take a photo I will.The tablet is a common but original Trafalgar Square.
    Bruce 10292227_1_l.jpg

5. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Bruce, in an earlier thread, here, you stated that the label had "Chauncey Jerome, New Haven." It is the same clock, correct?

6. Jerome collector

Sep 4, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bruce,
    I've never seen a Bristol steeple clock. I wasn't aware that Jerome used spring- or fusee-driven clocks until he moved to New Haven. I'd love to see the label and the movement.
    Mike

7. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Steven you are absolutely correct it appears as though I shouldnt be out with out my keeper!!:cyclops:
    My question ,restated, is the blue older than the tan or just an option in the same time period.
    Bruce

8. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I agree with Mike that it would be good to see pictures of label and movement. I have a weight-driven Jerome (see below) that has a tan label with New Haven address, early 1850's. Per Spittlers and Bailey, Jerome had a case factory in New Haven by 1843. When his Bristol factories were destroyed by fire in 1845, he move the ops to New Haven, and by 1856, he was bankrupt and bought out by New Haven Clock Co.

9. Jerome collector

Sep 4, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bruce,
    Jerome steeples of the same period from New Haven are found with blue or tan labels. I've seen it speculated that the blue-labeled clocks were destined for foreign markets, but I've never seen any hard evidence for that.
    Mike

10. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Mike , very good point as this clock's tablet is of the Lord Nelson statue in Trafalgar Square and perhaps this clock was indeed sent to England.
    Thanks for the help,
    Bruce

11. Rich Newman

Rich Newman Chair
    Director NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Male
    Retired
    Illinois
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not all Jerome labels were paper labels. This is very early "Manufactured by Jerome & Co. New Haven, Conn" likely painted onto the bottom with a stencil. Notice how some of the paint creeps up the backboard just behind the pendulum. Time, strike and alarm on a bell; all wound through the dial.

Jerome Clock.jpg Jerome Label.jpg

12. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Beautiful clock and another interesting label to contemplate....thanks for sharing!
    Bruce

13. Jerome collector

Sep 4, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's a neat label. Never seen one painted on the case. But to be nitpicky, the clock is not actually a Jerome clock, at least in the sense of having a connection to Chauncey Jerome. This model of clock, known as a "Sharp Gothic," likely dates to the late 1800s, long after Jerome died. It was almost certainly made by the New Haven Clock Co, who used "Jerome & Co." as a trade name.