Chauncey Jerome 30 hr.

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by DN4911, Jan 25, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DN4911

DN4911 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 19, 2017
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    #1 DN4911, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2017
    I have cleaned Up the movement and bushed one pivot. The strike side seems to be working finally but still working on the time side. When it arrived the plates were loose and parts were floating in the box. This is my first effort at repair. Having fun!
    IMG_0939.jpg IMG_0931.jpg IMG_0925.jpg IMG_0908.jpg IMG_0903.jpg IMG_0941.jpg IMG_0935.jpg IMG_0926.jpg IMG_0909.jpg IMG_0904.jpg

2. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is quite a nice clock. Can you post a photo of it all together when you get the chance?

I also wonder if it's been refinished at some point. I imagine that they would have stained the slightly lighter sections to match (which was done fairly often originally, but refinishers never seem to do).

3. DN4911

DN4911 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 19, 2017
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    #3 DN4911, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2017
    As requested here is a photo now that I have it back together and ticking away. I believe the glass is original. Yes the veneer has been repaired on some of the edges. I'm very happy with it.

- - - Updated - - -
    IMG_0963.jpg
    As requested here is a photo now that I have it back together and ticking away. I believe the glass is original. Yes the veneer has been repaired on some of the edges. I'm very happy with it.

4. Jerome collector

Jerome collector Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Geologist, US Army Corps of Engineers
    Omaha, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there's very little chance that the movement in that clock is original to the clock. The clock was made when Jerome was working for Benedict & Burnham (soon to be the Waterbury Clock Co.) in 1856-1857. Jerome went bankrupt in February of 1856. With this label, the clock should have a Waterbury type 2.411 movement in it, not a Jerome type 1.311. By the time of the bankruptcy, Jerome was using (exclusively, to the best of my knowledge) a type 1.314 movement. The primary difference between the 1.311 and 1.314 is the use of a rivet to attach the verge pin arm in the latter, rather than a screw (like yours). Your movement is several years too old to be found in a clock from 1856-1857.

Mike

5. DN4911

DN4911 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 19, 2017
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Ok thanks, good to know. Can you give me a range of labels that go with this movement? Maybe I can find a Waterbury for this case and the right case for the 1.311. Themovement does seem to fit correctly but you're the expert and I appreciate as much info as you can pass along. What years did they use the 1.311?

6. Jerome collector

Jerome collector Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Geologist, US Army Corps of Engineers
    Omaha, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    First I have to say that precisely dating clocks from this period is difficult. I have only seen this particular movement in two labels (below). Both were printed by John Benham before he moved from 55 Orange St to the Glebe Building around 1855. The only difference between these two labels is that one states "MANUFACTURED BY" and the other "MANUFACTURED AND SOLD BY". The label in your clock was printed at the Glebe Building. There's also a feature of your movement that has not been reported in the literature before (circled on movement photo below). The "shoulder" to the break-arch boss on the front plate has been intentionally filed down (or was the result of an imperfect plate stamping). If you check your movement, I believe you'll find that the other "shoulder" is still present (behind the verge pin arm). I've seen eight examples of this movement, so it was not a one-off oddball. My belief is that this movement and these two labels date to the early 1850s, possibly no later than around 1853 and certainly no later than 1855.

I'd be curious to know if your seatboard has holes in the sides to receive retention pins that went through the vertical rails that the seatboard rests in. If it does have holes, is there just a single set of holes and do they line up with a single set of holes in the vertical rails? If there are holes and they don't line up, that's a clear sign the seatboard (and presumably the movement) is not original. If they do line up perfectly, is there evidence that the seatboard ever had a different movement mounted on it? If everything lines up and there's no evidence for a different movement, then we have a mystery.

Mike

Attached Files:

7. DN4911

DN4911 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 19, 2017
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Dear Mike, thank you for your detailed and scholarly response. As to the movement, yes the other "shoulder" is there behind the verge pin. So I take that to mean the movement must be 1850-5.
    As for the the seat board, you are correct again! The holes don't line up. So there must have been a different seatboard there at one time. Therefore I must agree that this movement must predate the case. Therefore I agree the case must be 1856-7. Great detective work thanks so much. Love these Jerome clocks! I wasn't aware of the existence of these pins.

8. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    very appreciative of the knowledge and expertise shared in these threads... and the pleasure derived from having my clock horizons expanded daily.

thank you!