Chauncey Boardman groaner issue

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by sportmodel1442004, Jul 27, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. sportmodel1442004

sportmodel1442004 Registered User

Nov 14, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Hi guys. I recently acquired a very nice Chauncey Boardman looking glass clock. I have taken the movement apart and gave it a simple wipe down to remove the dust. Movement looks good. My issue is this : I've reassembled the time side, but not the strike side, but I can't get it to run. It'll tick strongly for a few minutes then it'll simply stop. There's a 6 lb weight on that side. If I add a little extra finger pressure, the clock will resume running. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Have you cleaned the movement, burnished all the pivots, re-bushed worn holes, etc.? Wooden shelf clock movements are almost always very dirty and worn out, and simply removing surface dirt almost never suffices to make them run again.

3. sportmodel1442004

sportmodel1442004 Registered User

Nov 14, 2016
    Country Flag:
    That's going to be on the agenda for this weekend. It's easy to forget these movements are 175+ years old. This one has had pretty well documented services over its life. The last documented service was in August 1936! Thanks for the pointers

4. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I had a situation where two teeth were hitting tip to tip. It would always stop at the same place, but the escape wheel was locked up - If I tried to swing the pendulum, it would not tick tock. I had to move the minute hand and it would start up again easily. It doesn't sound exactly the same as your situation, but are the gears free to mesh cleanly? Mine felt good when turning by hand, but when doing they they had some momentum to keep turning. When they turned slowly while running, they would lock up. I ended up replacing a worn tooth.

Does it stop in the same amount of time, or at the same time (minute hand location). Those are usually clues. Or, does it just stop randomly?

Weight cord and pulley good - free and clear?

I had another situation where I was testing with the weight hanging straight down. That pulled the wheel down and caused a meshing problem. When I pulled the weight upwards as is the normal configuration everything worked fine. I learned to test in the same configuration it will run in for the best results.

Anyways, just some rambling thoughts to hopefully help you find something.

Tom

5. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You may also find that some of those "documented services" were less than well done. Broken teeth are not uncommon and hacked up replacement teeth with the wrong shape and spacing as well as failed previous repairs are all possible.

RC

6. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Example I came across (Hall of Shame candidate?):

View attachment 351785

Reworked (on left):

View attachment 351786

Tom