Charles Stratton Restoration Question about Strike Mechanism

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by gleber, Mar 15, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm working to restore a Charles Stratton wooden works clock. On the label, it says,

"If the Clock should strike wrong in sequence because of running down or other accidents, it may be made to strike till it comes to the right hour by means of gently pulling a wire below the face, directly under figure VII, which operation must be repeated till it strikes the right hour."

The Terry type movement did not include a wire, but it looks like there is a loop on the strike count lever that might have had a wire attached. I was wondering if anyone could confirm whether or not this is where the wire would have been connected? I don't see any place else that makes sense to apply a pull to get it to strike.

Label

20160315_074727.jpg

Strike Lever loop

20160315_074452.jpg

I'm not sure why the string is wound around the arbor? I can't see any signs of cracks on the ends like it might have split, but I'm afraid to undo it without further inspection or knowing what I might get into. It would not have been original would it? The only other reason I can think it is there is to stiffen up the levers so they don't move relative to each other (which would of course be bad).

Thanks,
    Tom

2. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    yes, a thin light wire is often attached to that loop to advance the strike. Care needs to be taken that the loop in the end of the wire cannot get twisted in any way to hang up or the clock will strike and not stop. The wire is not required as one can advance the minute hand almost to 12 (just before it strikes) then turn backward toward 9 will do the same as pulling the wire. Best thing I have found is to just wind the time side a little higher than the strike so it does not get out of step.

The he string wound around the end of that arbor suggests possible damage. If any of those wire levers are loose you may have a problem with the strike operation. You may want to remove the string an inspect that arbor more closely.

RC

3. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the info. I wanted add the wire not so much for functionality, but to match the label for completeness/authenticity. I realize there are other ways to sync the strike with the time. So, my main purpose was to confirm if that loop is where the wire would have connected.

The levers are all tight now, so the repair(?) seems solid, but I would like to remove to cord, again to restore it to original as best as possible. It will be like opening a present - a surprise inside...:)

Tom