Charles Stratton Holden Mass. with Crazy Repaint

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by Joe B, Nov 6, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Joe B

Joe B Registered User

May 2, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    3CF0AC60-89D4-49C4-B746-09547CCC3691.jpeg 29068464-BB77-4C42-B333-165F55F4896F.jpeg 00DF107D-D470-4F32-89AE-1BDDBDE005EB.jpeg 54E166B3-3199-4090-B41A-B61379CC0B73.jpeg DC28A3B0-1F2E-491D-AEDB-784B166A1420.jpeg

Just picked up this clock with a really creative repaint...

2. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Funky label too. Looks like it was pasted over another?

Several Charles Stratton posts can be found on this message board.

Here is a photo of mine.

primary.jpg

Tom

3. Joe B

Joe B Registered User

May 2, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Very nice clock!

It does look like one label is pasted on top of another, very odd. It certainly draws the eye in its state haha. I’ll try to get it running in the next few days.

4. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    The tablet is, well, interesting. One positive is that it depicts a pineapple, a traditional symbol of welcome and an oft used motif for furniture and clock finials in the period when this clock was made as well as earlier and later ones.

Getting past the tablet, it's an otherwise interesting ww clock that appears to be in reasonable condition.

In my experience, the case style is not a typical one for ww clocks. It is a style that was more typically being used for early spring driven and weight driven brass clocks. So during the time when ww were going the way of the dodo bird but were cheaply available, some of the later "makers", like Holden, were still casing them into the 1840's. Sometimes they were put into cases that were more typically used for brass works. Examples of this, some with zinc dials rather than wood, have previously been discussed on the MB.

Yes, an overpasted label. No doubt absolutely correct and original so don't try to remove it. I have seen many examples of this. Sometimes the overpaste is a mere strip of paper. Sometimes a complete label is used. I have some clocks where sections of a larger label were then put together as an overpaste creating what appears to be a complete label. Also previously posted on the MB. Here, just the central portion was printed and overpasted. Makes sense. This was the "important" part containing the name and claims of the so-called "maker", more likely an assembler, which would be easier to add. Could also be used in a variety of case styles and sizes, too? The instructions sections of the label would be the same. A central MA "maker" rather than CT no less! Definitely adds a level of interest for me.

So an interesting ww with an "interesting" tablet.

RM

5. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 Jim DuBois, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    Just a passing thought, but I have seen some original glasses that were about as naive as or done like this glass. I would want to take a careful look at how the glass is retained in the frame as well as details from the backside of the glass before writing it off as a more recent and less than graceful effort.

I think these two examples both belong to one sophisticated collector we know, but they are both similar to something I might paint.

S Root Flat Bevel ogee (18).JPG 20150413_192623.jpg

Peter A. Nunes likes this.
  6. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    All points are well taken and it may be original, but my feeling is probably not.

Still should be checked out as you suggest.

RM.