Charles Stratton Holden Mass. with Crazy Repaint

Joe B

May 2, 2018
Country
Very nice clock!

It does look like one label is pasted on top of another, very odd. It certainly draws the eye in its state haha. I’ll try to get it running in the next few days.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
The tablet is, well, interesting. One positive is that it depicts a pineapple, a traditional symbol of welcome and an oft used motif for furniture and clock finials in the period when this clock was made as well as earlier and later ones.

Getting past the tablet, it's an otherwise interesting ww clock that appears to be in reasonable condition.

In my experience, the case style is not a typical one for ww clocks. It is a style that was more typically being used for early spring driven and weight driven brass clocks. So during the time when ww were going the way of the dodo bird but were cheaply available, some of the later "makers", like Holden, were still casing them into the 1840's. Sometimes they were put into cases that were more typically used for brass works. Examples of this, some with zinc dials rather than wood, have previously been discussed on the MB.

Yes, an overpasted label. No doubt absolutely correct and original so don't try to remove it. I have seen many examples of this. Sometimes the overpaste is a mere strip of paper. Sometimes a complete label is used. I have some clocks where sections of a larger label were then put together as an overpaste creating what appears to be a complete label. Also previously posted on the MB. Here, just the central portion was printed and overpasted. Makes sense. This was the "important" part containing the name and claims of the so-called "maker", more likely an assembler, which would be easier to add. Could also be used in a variety of case styles and sizes, too? The instructions sections of the label would be the same. A central MA "maker" rather than CT no less! Definitely adds a level of interest for me.

So an interesting ww with an "interesting" tablet.

RM

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
National Awards from NAWCC
James W. Gibbs Literary Award
Just a passing thought, but I have seen some original glasses that were about as naive as or done like this glass. I would want to take a careful look at how the glass is retained in the frame as well as details from the backside of the glass before writing it off as a more recent and less than graceful effort.

I think these two examples both belong to one sophisticated collector we know, but they are both similar to something I might paint.

S Root Flat Bevel ogee (18).JPG 20150413_192623.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter A. Nunes

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Just a passing thought, but I have seen some original glasses that were about as naive as or done like this glass. I would want to take a careful look at how the glass is retained in the frame as well as details from the backside of the glass before writing it off as a more recent and less than graceful effort.

I think these two examples both belong to one sophisticated collector we know, but they are both similar to something I might paint.

View attachment 556104 View attachment 556105
All points are well taken and it may be original, but my feeling is probably not.

Still should be checked out as you suggest.

RM.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubutch
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool