Charles Stratton, Holden Mass. carved column

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by time is money, Feb 11, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. time is money

time is money Registered User

Jun 30, 2013
    I have been brought a Labeled Charles Stratton, Holden Massachusetts clock case. The case is in good condition. It has carved half columns. The printer of the label is still legible and is kind of odd=J.M. Spy Office, Worcester ,Mass. It appears that the movement ( missing with dial) was held in by two wooden strips mounted on the back board. The top splat is also missing. I have searched the internet for photo's of something similar. Haven't had much luck with a name or printer search. Any info. pertaining to Charles Stratton would be appreciated . The Gentleman that brought the case to me seems to think that this is a rather rare clock and should be restored.He's been an auction "assistant" for many years and has an immensely extensive personal collection..Since I don't have an original wooden movement or dial am wondering if this is really worth pursuing...I look at it like you'd look at a corvette car =If all of the parts are not original to the clock is the clock actually valuable! I will attempt to post photo's later.meanwhile anyone that knows anything about the maker; your comments would be appreciated and helpful! Thank you in advance!!

2. time is money

Jun 30, 2013
    attachment.jpg

Attached Files:

3. senhalls

senhalls Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    retired
    western PA.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great case . I would make it a clock again . It is worth more as a clock than as kindling wood . Rare maker/ dealer . I hope he pursues it .

4. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is a post about my Charles Stratton. https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?131857-First-Wooden-What-have-I-gotten-myself-into. I have recently completed repairs on the movement so that it is now up and running. I hope to post a follow up soon. My movement does not have side plates to hold it like some makers use. It has two screws at the bottom directly into the back board and a wood kleet at the top. Nice to see another Stratton.

Tom

5. time is money

Jun 30, 2013
    Thank you for the responses-I will ,probably, restore this, however would really like to find origional parts if possible. It may take some time to do so. Thank you for sharing the link to your Stratton!

6. time is money

Jun 30, 2013
    Thank you for the photo links-I noticed that the top splat on the one's pictured is quite simple. I replaced the splat on a Silas Hoadley a couple of years ago that appears very similar. The splat that was brought with the clock(not pictured) is definitely wrong and does not fit across between the "chimneys" The guy gave me two with the case and indicated he had no idea if they even went with the clock. One of them is a fully clam shell carved splat that is almost identical in carving to the splat that is on an Atkins and Downs that I have in my collection and is too short by an inch and a half and the other is a simpler splat, much like the one's pictured in you links . That splat has been badly repaired and is broken straight down the center vertically, but does not appear to be the right length either . I imagine I will need to reproduce a splat . Question is should I do a single, double or triple "hump"!! LOL That is why I am trying to locate a picture of one with turned /carved pillars that is intact. Want to make this as historically correct as possible.

7. time is money

Jun 30, 2013
    The one photo is of my George Mitchell/ Atkins and Downs-Not certain who made what for who, but both names are on the label-Says George Mitchell -then below that mfg. by Atkins and Downs-etc. The second is of a top carved splat that was given to me with the Charles Stratton..Just not certain if Stratton ever had that type of splat .I can find no photo's anywhere's for reference that would attachment.jpg indicate that this splat would be correct ..It does fit for length, however. attachment.jpg

Attached Files: