Charles Murray, clockmaker London

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by DeanT, Sep 29, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Male
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi All,

Does anyone have any information on a clockmaker from early 18thC by the name of Charles Murray. He was apprenticed to Thomas Tompion and is listed in Baillie as 1702 although Loomes simply says "not 1702".

He was obviously working around 1715-20 in London given the one piece of work I have seen but for someone apprenticed to a very famous maker he it is incredibly difficult to find any information on him.

Thanks in advance if anyone has anything.

Cheers
    Dean

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There is a Murray widow (not a merry widow but who knows) who received income from a charitable fund for clockmakers set up by East, but that is a bit earlier. A father?

3. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    Not everyone who was apprenticed would have gone on to make clocks under their own name - to do that you needed to be a businessman as well, and have enough money saved to set up your own place. So many went on to be journeymen. Some might have tried to strike out in business only to fail. It might be worth looking at bankruptcy court records or the like to see if you can find him?

4. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Male
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    After much searching it turns out Murray was a blacksmith.

Thomas Dyde bound Charles Murray through the Blacksmith Company in 1680 and he was turned over to Thomas Tompion in 1686. Thomas Dyde died in 1686 so maybe that is why he was transferred to Tompion.

Charles Murray took at least one apprentice of his own.
    MURRAY. --------- took MIDDLETON. Thomas. tof TAYLOR. John. 7:4:1718 ======
    MURRAY. Charles took GRIFFITH. Thomas or George. tof LATHAM. John. 5:6:1712 4:7:1720

5. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Male
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Nick for the photos.

Front.jpg IMG_3711.JPG IMG_3712.JPG IMG_3735.JPG IMG_3737.JPG IMG_3740.JPG IMG_3741.JPG IMG_3742.JPG

6. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    Nice - case looks like it has had a bit of a polish between the first and second photos..

7. daveR

daveR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 10, 2008
    hospital storeman
    melbourne, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It comes up a treat. It would be good to hear those bells chime.
    Was Thomeas Dyde, or maybe his father a blacksmith, so that once they were in a company ( read union??), they could then legally make clocks having been properly apprenticed?
    David

8. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Different lighting, different camera, no polishing. First pic is from the auction house. I use a floodlight for infil and now it is autumn I have to use flash.

9. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My understanding is the livery companies only had control in the City of London, but yes you had to be in a company to make a clock, so you had served an apprenticeship to become a member of a company and free to trade in the city. It didn't have to be the clockmakers, broderers and goldsmiths also made clocks and watches.

10. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Male
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Zedric,

It hasn’t been touched as yet and the case needs a lot of work. The difference is that Nick takes far better photos than the auction house who took the first photo!

11. daveR

daveR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 10, 2008
    hospital storeman
    melbourne, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dean, Are you going to replace those ordinary looking movement to case brackets with something closer to what was probably there originally?
    David

12. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Male
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tompion took on apprentices from the Blacksmiths and Goldsmiths company to avoid the restrictions on the number of apprentices he could maintain at one time. Murray was originally a blacksmith as Tompion may have been himself.

13. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Male
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Maybe. I have seen steel ones before so need to look at them carefully first.

14. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't think he will be allowed not to :) Will do a video this eve if I remember, first day back after half term, may just fall asleep!

DeanT likes this.
  15. daveR

daveR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 10, 2008
    hospital storeman
    melbourne, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good!! Even though he says he will look into it and I am sure he will apply due diligence, they still don't look right.
    ß

16. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's a fairly early clock with some of its own idiosyncrasies, the first think is to look at the straps and see if the are wrought iron, because that would age them. I'll have a look under the microscope at the structure and how they were made.

It's Dean's clock, but I know the repairer and he loves a bit of bling. I know he has replaced straps before but the problem then is do you get them engraved? Blank brass even of the correct colour is going to stand out more.

17. daveR

daveR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 10, 2008
    hospital storeman
    melbourne, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    For sure I appreciate he has the final say over his own clock and I know him well enough to know that he will make the right decision and not do anything thaat he feels is historically inappropriate.
    David

18. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Those brackets are made by a smith. They may be original, they are certainly old.

The bells aren't fixed very firmly, I had to fiddle with them to get anything approaching a decent sound, they need an expert.

19. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You can see the brackets have been forged.

74271757_1389909987799349_7049301909932343296_n.jpg 74209893_386948775545092_4537492373944401920_n.jpg 74575220_2239451742827107_8550732424034648064_n.jpg

20. daveR

daveR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 10, 2008
    hospital storeman
    melbourne, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting observation of the brackets from being there "onthe spot" and thanks for the video of the bells; despite their slightly infirm sound, I can hear that they have a really nice sound - or so they sem to me anyway.
    David

21. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The bells are just a bit loose. I ran it before when I first took it out and it sounded much better, should have done a vid then. I wrapped it to go to the clock repairer then unwrapped it again for the video but all the bells had moved and it just made dull thuds. I had a play and got them back to working sort of. As you say you can hear their potential rather than how they should be.

I suspect that when it comes back from the repairer all perfect it will again go through this stage as I may be advised by the repairer to remove the bells for shipping, Dean will then have to set it up again. There are already two here that will have the bells removed for shipping. Some clocks don't have the strap at both ends of the set of bells leaving them rather vulnerable. I will, though, take another video before that.