Charles E. DeLong

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Tom McIntyre, May 4, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 Tom McIntyre, May 4, 2012
    Last edited: May 5, 2012
    I was responding in another thread and realized that the image handling here makes it fairly easy to show a PowerPoint presentation as a series of slides that are attachments in a post (or maybe more than one post). This is partly an offering on DeLong and partly an experiment to see how this works.

Slide1.jpg Slide2.jpg Slide3.jpg Slide4.jpg Slide5.jpg Slide9.jpg Slide8.jpg Slide7.jpg Slide6.jpg Slide10.jpg Slide12.jpg Slide11.jpg
    There is a limit of 12 images per post, so this will be continue in the next post.

2. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Slide13.jpg Slide23.jpg Slide22.jpg Slide21.jpg Slide20.jpg Slide19.jpg Slide17.jpg Slide16.jpg Slide15.jpg Slide14.jpg Slide18.jpg Slide24.jpg
    Continue in next post

3. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Slide25.jpg Slide35.jpg Slide34.jpg Slide33.jpg Slide32.jpg Slide31.jpg Slide30.jpg Slide29.jpg Slide28.jpg Slide27.jpg Slide26.jpg Slide36.jpg
    That completes the DeLong Presentation. We can talk about any of the slides or whatever you want, of course.

I used the PowerPoint 2010 ability to generate image files from all the slides in the presentation. They are put in a directory as individual images if that is what you request. They then can be inserted here in groups of 12 for each post.

If you click on the top left slide in each post, you can use the Next button to scan through them.

4. Watchfixer

Watchfixer Registered User

Jun 11, 2011
    TV repair tech.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    German Kienzle used this Delong's escapement with pallet. But they were made to finer precision using milling on the EW and one piece stamping on the EW lever and pallets were installed in the lever.

I have this Kienzle 8 day and two types of battery solenoid rewind clocks with this Delong EW & lever. If interested I can take pictures.

Cheers, Watchfixer

5. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom,
    What a great pictorial and clear display of DeLong's work. Very nice !

6. John Cote

John Cote Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Photographer
    Midwest USA
    Country Flag:
    This presentation is great here on the web....but if you get a chance to see Tom deliver it in person you need to take it. Thanks Tom.

7. D Magner

D Magner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 27, 2004
    toolmaker and watchmaker
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom,
    I enjoyed that very much! Thanks.
    David

8. mdloggins

mdloggins Registered User

May 16, 2005
    This will sound more than a little crazy but the most impressive achievement to me (and maybe the most extensively used) was his invention of a useful single trigger for a double shotgun. Many tried but apparently he was successful if used on Remingtons! There are a lot of really bad single triggers attempts out there.

I always knew there was a reason for associating watches and guns besides their importance to American manufacturing.

9. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The story is almost certainly a gross exaggeration, but Chamberlain quotes Fred McIntyre as saying that when he and DeLong went hunting birds in the Indian Territory, DeLong carried a small bore rifle (presumably 22) and shot the doves through the eye so they would not be spoiled. :eek:

Of course, he was also reported to have rebuilt a watch for a railroader that had gotten run over by a wagon, including a new staff and cutting a new center wheel in one hour with a promise that it would keep time to 1903 railroad standards. I actually believe the second story.

10. mdloggins

May 16, 2005
    I wouldn't necessarily discount the first story (they might not have been wing shots). There were a number of professional shooters in the late 19th and early 20th century who routinely drilled thrown dimes with a .22 including Annie Oakley and Fred Toppperwine to name a couple. Opportunities to excel at shooting skills far exceeded those existing today and many excelled at hunting and marksmanship.

11. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My favorite shooting story is from the old TV show "You Asked For It" that brought interesting accomplishments to television.

There was a quick draw artist named Red Wing who used as his target a blank pine board. He had a holstered Bowie knife and a holstered revolver and his
    feat was drawing the knife and throwing it at the board about 20 feet away and then drawing the revolver and firing a bullet into the board where the knife would land in the bullet hole.

I saw that when it originally played and again on a re-run years later.

12. mdloggins

May 16, 2005
    I've actually heard of him. He was the fast draw coach for a lot of Hollywood western stars including the guy who played Wyatt Earp and the star of Gunsmoke.

13. Clint Geller

Clint Geller Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 12, 2002
    I am a research physicist at a government lab
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #13 Clint Geller, May 11, 2012
    Last edited: May 11, 2012
    I'm wondering how large a pattern a revolver shot from a vice would make in a target at a distance of say, 25 feet. No marksman could be consistently more accurate than that. (A liitle Internet research just now indicates that various hand guns can make a one inch group of five shots at 25 yards (not feet), so the inherent accuracy of the weapon may not be limiting.) Still, no hand is as steady as a vice.