• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Charles Dickens and Sir John Bennett.

binman

Nov 16, 2011
Chatham England
Country
Region
A friend who I brought a pocket watch from, signed Sir John Bennett, sent me the card attached, as I told him I also had a clock signed by him also.
It appears they were quite good friends, and Dickens brought quite a few clocks from him, but Dickens was a perfectionist and often found problems with clocks he either brought or had repaired.Hope you find this of interest.

Attachments

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I like the clock. Curiously mismatched hands. Three winding arbors, or is my ignorance playing tricks on me?

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Dickens edited and wrote a weekly periodical called Mr Humphrey's Clock in which a number of short stories and two novels appeared, the reference to the clock was an old longcase in which the character Mr Humphrey kept some manuscripts.

There is some more on the letters between the pair below and amazingly Bennett's store front was moved from London to Greenwich Village.

https://www.thehenryford.org/explor...discovering-sir-john-bennetts-famous-customer

tomrsey

Jul 27, 2002
Pacific Northwest
Country
Region
The original store was five or six stories, it is two stories as rebuild in Greenfield Village at The Henry Ford, Dearborn Michigan. It was not too long ago that they refurbished the statues. I have was there to watch part of the re-installation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chiuzo
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent