Chalmers Auto Clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Bruce Barnes, Sep 16, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    Just for fun I bought this old clock and it was an available upgrade for the 1909 Chalmers.Obviously need to be cleaned and needs a second bit, but what the heck it was relativelt inexpensive.............
    Bruce
    chalmers 1.jpg chalmers 2.jpg

2. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    Your '09 Chalmers dashboard clock is kind of typical for early automobile accessories. The Chalmers automobile was then a popular make of car in 1909; Ford was just barely in production that year with the Model T flivver although Ford had dipped into the more pricey line with another style.

What's more interesting is the Phinney-Walker notation on the face. I and Ray Brown tried to learn about Phinney-Walker but found only that their principal product was "engineering" and that they were a license holder of many patents. Many of their later clocks appear with Semca (French made) movements. An in-depth of Phinney-Walker could be worked into an interesting biography.

Who were Phinney and Walker? Start with the US Census and Steamship boarding lists, then the military archives. A look into lawfirms representing Phinney-Walker may reveal a time line.

3. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Thanks Les for the "ground school" and leads..............I have found with just simple research that Phinney and Walker clocks and pinning down data on them is a little vague.This clock should look nice after it is cleaned up and probably is somewhat scarce.
    Bruce

4. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    A couple more photos............. chalmers 4.jpg chalmers 3.jpg

5. soaringjoy

soaringjoy Registered User

Feb 12, 2009
    Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Would you believe, "not made before July 1912"? ;)

6. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    It arrived today,case is dirty but not scratched or dented,glass has no chips,pull bezel and the hands set.......partially dis assembled and the works are clean,may have broken main spring or the spring is off the peg or maybe a broken pawl spring.Winds but no tension.meed to do a detail tear down.This little clock is heavy !!
    Bruce

7. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    I see your point Jurgen, my error 1912 Chalmers Model 9..............

8. dAz57

dAz57 Registered User

Dec 7, 2011
    watchmaker
    sydney Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  9. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Has anyone on the board dis assembled one of these?...............not 100% sure how.
    Bruce