Chair doctor.

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by Altashot, May 4, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Altashot

Altashot Registered User

Oct 12, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
  2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It might work with clocks. I used it once long ago on some chairs,after about 4 years the chairs loosened up.

3. Joseph Bautsch

Joseph Bautsch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is a very modern glue and according to the advertisement it is a permanent fix for chair joints. That may be well and good for fixing chairs, I don't know, I've never used it, but not so good for antique clock cases. A majority of the old, antique, clock cases were assembled with hide glue. Hide glue joints are reversible for repairs, whereas a permanent glue like Chair Doctor Glue is not. However, if a clock case has fractured parts, cracks and splits that should never come apart then this glue might work.

4. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It cleans up with water. Also instructions dont say that it is permament.

5. Carl in France

Carl in France Registered User

Mar 14, 2019
    Male
    Hautes Pyrénées, sometimes Wales.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I use PVA on my beehives and that seems to last well over the years outside in all weathers. I would use the same on any clock cases that needed repair.

6. Joseph Bautsch

NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    To clear up wheather or not Chair Doctor Glue is permanent or not and would be useful in repairing antique clocks I sent them an email asking them that question. The following is their reply:

"Thank you for your e-mail. It depends on the kind of repair. In our experience, using Chair Doctor Glue (05K9901 / 05K9904) to repair loose chair joints and tenons is pretty permanent, as this glue doesn’t simply adhere wooden surfaces – it soaks into the end grain wood, swells it, and then freezes it in the swollen state. For other kinds of chair repairs, however (split or broken wood), Chair Doctor isn’t usually recommended – other general purpose wood glues like 2002GF or Titebond III might be more appropriate.
    Please note that the shelf life of Chair Doctor Glue is about 1 year, so we don’t recommend buying more than you need.
    We hope this information is useful. If you have any further questions or comments, please don’t hesitate to contact us again.
    Sincerely,
    Christopher
    Internet Service Representative
    Lee Valley Tools Ltd."

As you can see Chair Doctor Glue is intended to be a permanent repair, beside that they do not recomend that it be used for split or broken wood. They recomend a wood glue for those parts. I agree with their recommendation use a good "wood glue" for split or broken clock case parts. On antique clock parts that are not split or broken, and joints that may be subject to restoration at a later date, I recomend using the original glue, hide glue, be used. Hide glue will preserve the historical antique value.

7. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I can see a value in using this for the frames of old Black Forest clock movements that have become loose over time and are sagging under the weight of their driving weights. Shrinking of the joints in these frames is very common and something that swells the dried out dowels could be very useful.

Uhralt

8. Joseph Bautsch

NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You are probably correct. It would work. The problem is that the chair glue soakes into the wood swelling it and hardens locking it in place permenatly. If you ever have to repair any part of the frame you would not be able to take it apart without destroying the frame. I have had to replace parts of the frames on several of these clocks and being able to disassemble them makes repairing them easier. When they become lose and or sag take them apart and re-assembleing them with hide glue does the job and then they can be taken apart again if repairs are needed at a latter date.

9. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I gave my opinion based on my experience with it.