• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Chain wheel in Ultrasonic???

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
I'm sure there's a thread about this somewhere on here but I didn't get it to come up on the search. I even tried to google it.
I've read in past rambles on ultrasonic cleaning that it might not be a good idea to put chain wheels in the bath with the rest of the parts. The reason most often observed being you may not get it all out with rinsing, and then it causes friction down the road. I've been down the road and I don't want to cause another to go down it. If not in the US, what is the better way?
Any thoughts on that subject? Thanks, Danny

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
whenever i put any gears in my ultrasonic that haven't been fully disassembled i rinse after, and spin the gears while blow-drying and using compressed air.

the alternative is to disassemble as much as possible and still blow-dry, use compressed air, etc.

i believe others have alternative approaches to preventing rust after ultrasonic-ing... search around for that, as well.

Reactions: disciple_dan

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I put them in with the other parts. Then rinse with hot water, followed by a 99% Isopropyl bath. That will absorb the moisture and then a hairdryer will remove the alcohol. Easy peezy.

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
I'm using Zenith Radiant cleaner. It has a somewhat oily type film that seems to come off pretty good but I'm not sure all of it is rinsed away. I was thinking it may collect a little dust down inside there and make some mud over time. For my other parts, I use compressed air and then a blow dryer for about five minutes blowing across the parts to heat them and hopefully rid the water in the crevices. I'd love to be able to put the chain wheels in the US. too.
So, do most of you think it's ok:???: Thanks, Danny

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Yep. Go for it. Heat will dissolve the water, but alcohol is better.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
I'm using Zenith Radiant cleaner. It has a somewhat oily type film that seems to come off pretty good but I'm not sure all of it is rinsed away. I was thinking it may collect a little dust down inside there and make some mud over time. For my other parts, I use compressed air and then a blow dryer for about five minutes blowing across the parts to heat them and hopefully rid the water in the crevices. I'd love to be able to put the chain wheels in the US. too.
So, do most of you think it's ok:???: Thanks, Danny
I put all of them in but am sure they are rinsed and dried well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ken64
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-