Chain Swinger Information Please

rodarte3

Aug 27, 2000
I have obtained a reproduction chain swinger clock that I am trying to make run reliably. Does anybody have any hints for setup, etc? There is a unusual circular pendulum supported near the center by the three spring Ansonia type suspension. The pendulum is driven at the bottom by the crutch. The pendulum twists about the support driven by the crutch. The pendulum is slightly heavier on the bottom then the top though there are two tapped holes, one at the top and one at the bottom that could be used to add additional weight. I have been working on increasing the power to the crutch by pivot polishing, changing the pallets to jewels and adjusting them for best fit. I am also reducing the inertia of the crutch by reducing its weight, etc. All these changes continue to improve the function but my understanding of the pendulum calibration is limited. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thank you for your help!

John

rodarte3

Aug 27, 2000
I have obtained a reproduction chain swinger clock that I am trying to make run reliably. Does anybody have any hints for setup, etc? There is a unusual circular pendulum supported near the center by the three spring Ansonia type suspension. The pendulum is driven at the bottom by the crutch. The pendulum twists about the support driven by the crutch. The pendulum is slightly heavier on the bottom then the top though there are two tapped holes, one at the top and one at the bottom that could be used to add additional weight. I have been working on increasing the power to the crutch by pivot polishing, changing the pallets to jewels and adjusting them for best fit. I am also reducing the inertia of the crutch by reducing its weight, etc. All these changes continue to improve the function but my understanding of the pendulum calibration is limited. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thank you for your help!

John

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mgatley
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool