Chain of watch service centers

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by le arsi, May 23, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. le arsi

le arsi Registered User

Jul 7, 2008
    Watchmaker,tower clockmaker, watch repair teacher/
    Philippines
    Country Flag:
    What can you say about this business proposal? A chain of watch and clock service centers here in the Philippines with every location identified with a giant clock (2 meters diameter and up) with a loud chime and melodies for public service. That the main activities are servicing watches and clocks and manufacturing tower clocks. And in separate place a training center where people can enroll to learn watch repairing to have their own shop or be part of the chain business willing to be assigned elsewhere. The business name is also printed on the dial of the giant clock (or any name) in front of the center maybe part of the building structure or in separate post or tower with bright light at night. Open also for franchising. In case of a mall, the space must provide a glass wall (or double glass wall) that a giant clock could be installed with artistic design, lights etc. and become public use. Thoughts?

2. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great idea, probably not much profit for the amount of work involved unless Filipinos wear more watches and have more mechanical clocks than the rest of the world. Next issue is warranty and reputations, the more people involved, the more issues with guarantees through the franchise and all it takes is one bad franchisee and the whole operation can go down the tubes in a heartbear. What kind of watches would you service, average everyday typed like Seiko, Casio, Timex, etc or would you go for Breitling, Rolex, LeCoultre, etc. Now you need major backing from the manufacturers who would require factory training, etc. I only wish it could work like McDonalds or Starbucks.

3. Neuron

Neuron Registered User

Nov 4, 2010
    Neurologist
    SF East Bay
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Now you need major backing from the manufacturers who would require factory training, etc.

And let's not forget the Swiss makers who refuse to sell replacement parts to all but their "approved" repairers. Otto Frei has a good discussion on their website of this problem.

4. le arsi

le arsi Registered User

Jul 7, 2008
    Philippines
    Country Flag:
    I have been in many service centers in the past and even established my own. Filipinos loved to wear watches both quartz and mechanical. The center will service all kinds of watches including high end. You are right, I might need support from high end manufacturers to offer complete services but if the owner wanted to just make the watch run accurately then the business will run. For example, instead of ordering whole balance wheel from the manufacturer I only need a lathe to make bal staff replacement, make push buttons, stems, find exact parts replacement from other caliber which I have done already many times, dial refinishing, making top bezels, mineral and organic glass replacement retaining waterproofness, retrofitting movement both mechanical and quartz and many hard-to- do jobs. The idea is to enclose those hard-to-do jobs in one roof to where all franchisee must coordinate their hard job orders, leaving easy jobs at their respective SC thus ensuring a continous business relationship between the franchisee and the owner. The franchisee is also going to have the regular maintenance check up of their tower clock as part of the contract for their unique form of advertising making the clock always operational and accurate for the benefit of the general public and the extra income of the franchisee in tower clock project installations. The knowledge of doing the hard-to-do jobs and the tower clock idea is exclusive only for the owner and founder of the chain. These owner is also the inventor of the le arsi quartz watch tester, tower clock movement and its control and the only teacher in the Philippines that offers complete watch repairing course for mechanical and electronic watches. The system is really just like the mcdonalds and starbucks. Also to ensure profit other added business could also be possible like key duplication, etc. With these almost complete technical resources do you think it will not make profit?

5. le arsi

le arsi Registered User

Jul 7, 2008
    Philippines
    Country Flag:
    This is the kind of job that this chain of service center is going to offer to the public. After cleaning the movement and timed at 18005BPH prepared the chuck attachment so that I can make the missing push piece using my mini lathe. I made this attachment so that I can hold the smaller pins like this one- a small push piece to adjust the calendar. I just finished this job in this very hour started at 11:30am. In this kind of job -cleaning, made push piece, change glass and change stem- how much would you charge the owner? Caliber is Omega 381.

2014-05-26 12.50.57.jpg 2014-05-23 15.33.15.jpg

Using my own design of chuck attachment for small pins holding.
    2014-05-26 13.03.00.jpg

Now the finished push piece.
    2014-05-26 13.59.10.jpg