Certified Clock Repair person

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by sourmash, Apr 1, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. sourmash

sourmash New Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Is there any certified clock repairman who works on wooden clock movements. I have what is called an offcenter Thomas.
    Thanks
    S.M.

2. mbegalla

mbegalla Registered User

Nov 23, 2008
    Male
    Retired
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    i have been repairing woodworks for years and would invite your business

3. sourmash

sourmash New Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Thanks for the offer but just this past weekend I was able to remove the wood parts (Gears) and was able to attach a quartz motor with hands. The other hands that came with the wood gearing were soft and bendable.

4. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I suppose it's your clock to do with as you choose, but you've taken a 170 or so year old clock and turned it into a piece of plastic junk.:bang:
    Better if you had just sold it as is and gone to Walmart for a new clock.

5. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    :eek::mad::cop:

6. sourmash

sourmash New Member

Mar 28, 2012
    We went a few places here in NY State . No body wanted to work on it. Then we drove to Connecticut one Sunday to see a guy who i was told can do the job. But come to find out it would be about 4 - 5 months before he would even get to it. Plus come to find out he never took any classes on clock repairing and had no proof that he was able to do the job. So we said forget it.

7. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    Hi
    Often the fact that a person has a 4-5 month back log can mean that
    they have a good reputation as a clock repair.
    The clock has most likely waited many years already, what is 4 or 5 months.
    I do hope you save the parts. Someone in the future might want to restore it.
    Tinker Dwight

8. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There are lots of really good repairmen who were either self taught or mentored, and have no diploma to show you. Schools that teach clock repair are becoming fewer every year.
    There is one fellow in Connecticut I would have no problem recommending, Don Bruno, who specializes in wooden works clocks. His website is here.
    He makes wooden gears in the same fashion they were originally made. It wouldn't surprise me if he has a backlog. A good reputation does get a lot of business.

9. Troy Livingston

Troy Livingston Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Aerospace Stress Engineer
    Melrose, FL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    An interesting and hopefully temporary solution to your problem, if you have managed to install the quartz movement without making permanent changes to the clock then you shouldn’t have hurt the value. This is a rare, fairly expensive clock, and deserves better treatment.

How did you attach the quartz movement to the back of the dial? Hopefully, you used whatever hands came with the kit as the original ones won’t tolerate much bending before breaking.

How long have you had the clock? Has it ever run? If the clock is a recent acquisition your problem may be something as simple as putting the clock in beat. Sorry if this seems obvious but your posting gives me the impression that you have limited experience with such things.

While your caution is certainly justified, there are a lot of people out there doing dreadful things to these clocks, there is no such thing as a certified repairman of wood works. Certifiable perhaps but that is another matter.

Don’t give up on the original movement and under no circumstances sell it to anyone, myself included.
    Some clear photos would help to determine the condition.

10. ClocksCollector

ClocksCollector Registered User

Aug 14, 2005
    Can you estimate the cost to get a complete wood movement running?

11. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would love to get a wooden clock movement.If i were to come upon one that someone threw out to replace with a quartz i would treasure it.
    As far as price to be repaired well that depend on the repair person as different people charge different rates.
    Certified means little to me when i see repair people post this in ads or in their shop.Certified to do what and from whom.
    I am not certified but like others here who have learned clock repair can do a good job with the skills we have.
    I hope you still have the movement and will get it repaired and put back where it came from.Other wise who would really like this hodge podge of a clock.
    This clock deserves to be repaired.

12. Troy Livingston

Troy Livingston Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Aerospace Stress Engineer
    Melrose, FL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That isn't much different from "How much will it cost to get my car running?” a little more information is needed to give any sort of meaningful response.

Prices can vary widely depending on geography, condition of the movement, and type of restoration required. Photos of the movement would also give some idea of the amount of work needed. Where are you located? Finding a competent local repairman is preferable to mail order but this may not be possible.

My backlog has grown sufficiently that I am not accepting any new work.

When you talk to your local shop, ask if they do much work on wood works clocks. If they have no experience you would probably be better off trying somewhere else. Now the controversial part, if they are experienced and answer yes to any of the below they are likely to do more harm than good and once again I would try elsewhere. This is my opinion, others will no doubt disagree.

1. Do they slather the movement in linseed oil, lemon oil, or any elixir intended to “feed the wood” or restore lost moisture? These substances do not perform as advertised, at best they do nothing.

2. Do they use graphite powder to lubricate the movement? Many try to cover the wheels and pinions with graphite in an attempt to get a clock running. This isn’t much different than dousing a brass movement with WD-40 and is a lot harder to clean up.

3. If a tooth needs to be replaced do they use anything other than a wood tooth of the same type material as the wheel? There are a lot of ugly tooth repairs out there and this is a common area where repairs can do more harm than good.
    You don’t want to end up with this:

Wheel Repair.JPG

If your clock has broken teeth then carefully check the bottom of the case. If the loose pieces are still there then they can be reattached to form a nearly invisible repair.

13. tom kerr

tom kerr Registered User

Jul 2, 2012
    Retired
    Edinburg, VA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Reminds me somewhat of an old 1960s, politically incorrect, Polish joke about the Polish athlete who won his country's first Olympic Gold Medal. The family was so proud that they had the medal bronzed as a family keepsake - or maybe installed a quartz movement?

14. Bill Stuntz

Bill Stuntz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This seems to be a pretty old "rejuvenated" thread - I wonder if sourmash is even around anymore to respond.

15. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    April, 2012.