• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Centre seconds chronograph

jjea

Mar 17, 2009
Today I took my usual weekend visit to the market flea and I saw this pocket watch. I wonder if it is a usual one or rare. What do you think? I still have the chance to go back and get it tomorrow.:confused:
Thank you for the advice.

Javier

Attachments

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
Nice watch.

The case was assayed in Chester in 1884. Isn't this one of these really thick cases. You feel the weight of silver when you hold it? I have one watch with such casing and I think it is very special to hold and handle.

If it was me, and the price was resonable, I would buy it and ad to my collection because of the casing.

If you google "watchmaker lichtenstein manchester" you should find some furter info. Good luck!

Just my 2c worth!

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
The case is hallmarked for Chester 1884, made by Isaac Jabez Newton Theo Newsome of Coventry. It is made of Sterling (.925) silver which looks in your photos to have been gilded.

S Lichtenstein of Manchester is listed in Loomes between the dates 1891 and 1905, but (yet again) Loomes must have that wrong.

It's a typical 3/4 plate English movement.

Centre seconds chronographs are somewhat uncommon but far from rare.

Overall it's a fairly stock watch although it looks in great condition.

jjea

Mar 17, 2009
The case is hallmarked for Chester 1884, made by Isaac Jabez Newton Theo Newsome of Coventry. It is made of Sterling (.925) silver which looks in your photos to have been gilded.

S Lichtenstein of Manchester is listed in Loomes between the dates 1891 and 1905, but (yet again) Loomes must have that wrong.

It's a typical 3/4 plate English movement.

Centre seconds chronographs are somewhat uncommon but far from rare.

Overall it's a fairly stock watch although it looks in great condition.
Thanks again Marty:)finally I bought it
Javier

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenvu01
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-