Center Seconds Fusee; is it English made or is it Swiss made?

Omexa

NAWCC Member
Feb 28, 2010
Darwin, Australia
Country
Region
Hi, I just purchased this clean and running “Center Seconds”, Pocket Watch movement. I have a penchant for Center Seconds movements and Pocket Watches. I have a few movements (some running) and a complete and Running Swiss made “H. Samuel Manchester”, Center Seconds in a nice Sterling Case; but I did not have a Fusee Center Seconds until today. I was surprised that it cost so little, US52.00, for an obviously well constructed movement. I know that Casing it will be a problem, but I have faced this situation before. Any ideas on Maker and where from? Regards Ray

Attachments

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Ray,

You certainly have an eye for a bargain!

Can't see from the pictures, but does it have the adjustment mechanisms for the balance pottance and crown wheel, like a French verge movement? I'm not sure whether the French were still building them that way this late: it does look pretty recent, as verges go. If not, and the letters "F" and "S" on the index tend to point this way as well, it's probably English.

Regards,

Graham

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
fusee and pointed e.w.-teeth suggest an english origin.swiss would have used club footed lever.
Burkhard

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Ray,

I really must read more carefully, and look at the pictures properly! I was probably misled by your previous verge epics . . .

Yes, you can clearly see the brass ratchet-tooth escape wheel. I guess if you're lucky there may be some marks inside the plates or under a bridge or cock indicating who made the ebauche, but otherwise, someone out there may have seen something similar.

Regards,

Graham

Omexa

NAWCC Member
Feb 28, 2010
Darwin, Australia
Country
Region
Army Navy, John Preston 1.jpg John Preston 2.jpg John Preston 3.jpg Stauffer Son London 1.jpg Stauffer Son London 2.jpg Stauffer Son London 3.jpg Hi, I was lucky enough to get two more working movements from the same seller for another 70 Dollars. Any information about these two movements would be appreciated. Regards Ray

Last edited:

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
They all look in English to me. Army and Navy was a very good retailer, as was Stauffer.

They look well made /

Sebastian S

Mar 4, 2010
Hi!
The Army & Navy watch is a beauty, Amazingly well finished!! Its ebauche is John Preston (which supplied most of the best brands of the day in the UK), and the finishing
is most probably entirely by hand by either a second private company or an atelier of the Army & Navy brand.
The second movement, is also nice. Check the escape, usually these ebauches have some type of 2 pin escape instead of a ruby jewel. Frodsham, Barraud, et alia have used this ebauche, ebauche
probably made by Isaac or John Glover, of Prescot... see David Penney's page for lots of info on these amazing English watches :)
Thanks for sharing!

Omexa

NAWCC Member
Feb 28, 2010
Darwin, Australia
Country
Region
Hi. I am really looking forward to getting this lot of movements; I have a few more movements with the English "geared winding", Stem missing. I have looked in vain for a while for "Geared Stems", to no avail. Where have they all gone? I suppose when the lovely Gold Case is scrapped they are thrown away. Oh well, I will have to make some. Regards Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clockjoyner
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre