Cellini Marque Deposee Ladies Pocket Watch

SeaWilliam

Jul 17, 2021
Conroe Texas
Country
I am restoring a Cellini Marque Deposse Ladies pocket watch and there is on visible attachment for the dial. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. The dial is shown below:
Cellini Dial L.jpg
The edge detail is shown below:
Dial Detail L.jpg
The dial (white) seems to be mounted on a three layer sandwich which does not move when pressure is applied.

I am just starting in watch restoration and need some guidance.

1627674108357.png Cellini Dial L.jpg Dial Detail 7 30 21.jpg Dial Detail 7 30 21.jpg

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi SeaWilliam,
The dial (white) seems to be mounted on a three layer sandwich which does not move when pressure is applied.
Enamel dials are made of three apparent layers; the white vitreous visible layer, (that's actually made of multiple layers, often finished off with a transparent one), is fired onto a thin copper plate and there's a balancing layer of a non-descript coloured enamel fired onto the reverse. Dials usually have a number of posts soldered to the reverse to secure them to the movement, which are held in place by cross pins, screws with cutouts in their heads, screws fitted into the edges of the plate, or occasionally other methods, hence Rick's request to see the whole movement. Swiss movements often have the screws with cutouts to hold the dials in place.

Regards,

Graham

Reactions: Rick Hufnagel

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
If you cannot find the screws securing the dial feet, it is very likely that this dial has been glued on.. This is a nasty shortcut when replacing a dial. If this is what you have it is "game over" if it is glued to the plate.

Your photos suggest that the dial is glued to the outer ring, in which case the previous repair was decent. If this is what you have the holes are there to insert a lever and pry up the dial from the side opposite to the setting lever. I have not seen one like this.

Since yo are just getting started this might be a good one to put in the "too hard for now" pile.

Last edited:

SeaWilliam

Jul 17, 2021
Conroe Texas
Country
Ladies Movement L 7 28 2021.jpg
Sorry about the clipped image. This is the lowest magnification on my scope. I can provide a rotated image if that would help.

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi SeaWilliam,

Ladies Movement L 7 28 2021_edit.jpg

The two screws holding the dial are in the red circles. You need to turn each screw clockwise so that the copper post fits in the cutout, then the dial should just lift off, if you've already removed the hands.

Regards,

Graham

SeaWilliam

Jul 17, 2021
Conroe Texas
Country
Graham, you hit it on the head! Thanks for the help.

Thanks everyone.

SeaWilliam

SeaWilliam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garyray
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-