German Cathedral clock with Gustav Becker movement

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by M. Jordan, Nov 30, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. M. Jordan

M. Jordan Registered User

Oct 15, 2019
    I may have posted to the wrong area earlier. I have a cathedral clock with a Gustav Becker movement and west minister chimes. I had the clock rebuilt by a friend. It keeps great time. The clock repair friend told me it has some sour notes and it does indeed sound sour. Any advice into have these sour notes and be fixed and put the clock back to the way it is suppose to sound. Thanks in advance.

gustave Becker face.JPG gustave Becker movement.JPG

2. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the Message board!
    The "sour notes" could be caused by many different things. For example, the block that holds the chime rods may not be attached tightly enough to the case of the clock. See if you can tighten the crews. Some hammers may be too close or too far away from the chime rods. A chime rod may be loose in the chime block. A hammer may hit the rod in a wrong angle, the leather in the hammers may be worn or become too hard. And there may be other reasons, too. The most frequent reason is that the hammers are not optimally positioned. If you could show us a video of the clock chiming, with sound and a close look at the area where the hammers strike the rods, we could probably be more specific.

Uhralt

3. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Also, clocks are far from being musical instruments. So, if you have a 'musical ear' you may never be happy with your clock's sound.

On the other hand, it probably has one or more faults in some of the areas Uhralt just mentioned.

WIllie X

4. M. Jordan

Oct 15, 2019
    I will make the video

5. M. Jordan

Oct 15, 2019
    How much video in size can I upload to this message board?

6. M. Jordan

Oct 15, 2019
    How much video in size can I upload to this message board?

7. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  8. M. Jordan

Oct 15, 2019
  9. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sounds like the chime rods were badly repaired at some point. Unfortunately spare chime rods that can deliver good tonal quality are not presently being manufactured and it will be some time until they are again. Usable spares on eBay are scarce so this clock will just have to sit on the backbench as a future project.

10. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Only one chime rod is not tuned properly. The lowest (longest) rod of the 1/4 hour sequence is too short. Evidently someone changed it and put in a shorter rod than the original. If the rods screw in, it can be replaced easily. Like CCF said, rods can be purchased on eBay or some suppliers have individual rods. You may not be able to get one that is exactly tuned to the pitch you need, but a rod that is longer and lower pitched can be cut or ground shorter(carefully) to match the pitch you desire. Some of the hammers are too close to the rods causing a tinty sound. Those hammers can be bent slightly to make that better. If you do not find the rod you need, send me a private message and I may have it in my bone pile.

11. M. Jordan

Oct 15, 2019
    #11 M. Jordan, Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Well, thank you. Being you stated that, I see lots of chime rods on Ebay. What am I looking for? Looking at the rods, I have no clue what I am looking for. Are all Westminister chime rods the same in size and fit?

One other thing, I do not know how to send a private message to someone on this message board.

12. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just click on that person's name on the left side of their post then click on the "Start a Conversation" link. It's basically just like posting, but it will be only between you two. You can also include images if you want.

Kurt

13. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I responded to your private message, M Jordan.
    Will Walker

14. M. Jordan

Oct 15, 2019
    it has screw in rods

15. M. Jordan

Oct 15, 2019
    I just remembered, I swear it sounds different depending on what hour it is playing the chimes on. Is that possible? I seems some of the hourly chimes are much worst that others. You may tell me I need to have my hearing checked.

16. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Check your private messages.

17. wow

wow Registered User