Castle Teutonia Clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by jzaw, Feb 2, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jzaw

jzaw Registered User

Sep 2, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi, I recently purchased a Castle Clock that resembles Black Forest family. It has a sticker Teutonia Clock Manufactory. Can I have your thoughts about its age and potentially value?

IMG_4528.JPG IMG_4519.JPG IMG_4521.JPG IMG_4530.JPG

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Welcome to the board.

The mark 'Teutonia' was used by Phillip Haas & Söhne, of St. Georgen (Germany). You can just see the initials PHS in the lower part of the crest on the label. The company was in business from 1867 to 1935. I would estimate the date of your clock to be the last quarter of the 19th century, but I am not sure.

We are not allowed to discuss values on this part of the notice board. There is a section 'What is this clock worth' at the very bottom of the main page.

JTD

3. senhalls

senhalls Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    retired
    western PA.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe this clock originally had a guard figure that moved left and right on the balcony below the dial. That is why there is a slot under the dial. Also there is a long arbor on second arbor of the time side. That arbor drives the figure back and forth. There are books showing this mechanism. A seldom seen example of black forest clock. May have had cuckoo OR trumpeter pipes. The levers are missing from the left side of movement.

4. jzaw

jzaw Registered User

Sep 2, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you very much for your valuable thoughts.
    That's exactly what I thought I saw once before some time ago. A figure walking on the balcony. No images that I could find on the net at present. Unfortunately, also no books that would have images of these clocks / movements.
    There are little doors on both sides of the castle which were probably to service the missing elements.
    Is there a chance that these parts can be sourced from somewhere? Is it worth the effort?

5. senhalls

senhalls Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    retired
    western PA.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If that were my clock I would expend the effort to make it whole again. Rare clock. Your pictures aren't large enough to show the case inside. I wonder if it had cuckoo pipes or horns or maybe it was time and strike only. Are there slots on the case sides for cuckoo pipes ? Or screw holes for mounting horns ? "Black Forest Clocks" by Ortenburger shows the mechanism of one. Page 244. There is another system I have seen illustrated that uses a brass sector gear to turn the soldier at either end. Simple and ingenious. But I cannot find that book in my library. I'll keep looking. I doubt you will source parts, have to make it all.

6. jzaw

jzaw Registered User

Sep 2, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag: