• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

SWCC CAST IRON CASE ROTARY

jkfabulos

NAWCC Member
Aug 21, 2001
JUST FINISHED UP THE RESTORATION ON THIS CLOCK. IT IS SOMEWHAT UNUSUAL IN THAT IT IS A STANDARD TIME ONLY 140 BEAT ROTARY WITH UNIQUE MOUNTING IN THE CASE.
I HAVE ANOTHER OF THE MORE COMMON THREE PLATE ROTARY TIME AND STRIKE MODELS THAT IS IN PROCESS OF BEING RESTORED. THEY HAVE A DIFFICULT TO INSTALL AND ADJUST CONTACT SET UP THAT IS GIVING A BIT OF A PROBLEM TO GET TO FUNCTION RELIABLY.

SW1.jpg SW11.jpg SW12.jpg SW13.jpg SW14.jpg SW15.jpg SW16.jpg SW17.jpg

Reactions: Jmeechie

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
This is quite an interesting set up. Did you restore the case as well as well as the movement? Do you know if the movement was original to these clocks? Thanks!

jkfabulos

NAWCC Member
Aug 21, 2001
This is quite an interesting set up. Did you restore the case as well as well as the movement? Do you know if the movement was original to these clocks? Thanks!
I did restore the case as well.
For 100% sure this movement is original to the case.

Reactions: PatH

Tim Orr

National Membership Chair
Director
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good evening!

Of course, the resemblance between this and the SWCC Type A is very strong. That is a synchronizing solenoid at the top left, isn't it? Were these sold by SWCC? Is there branding anywhere on the movement or case?

Best regards!

Tim Orr

jkfabulos

NAWCC Member
Aug 21, 2001
Good evening!

Of course, the resemblance between this and the SWCC Type A is very strong. That is a synchronizing solenoid at the top left, isn't it? Were these sold by SWCC? Is there branding anywhere on the movement or case?

Best regards!

Tim Orr
This is a Self Winding Clock Co. standard 140 beat rotary movement and is correctly marked. Not sure why there is any confusion about that.
SWCC sold many different models of these cast iron cases. You can see several in Tran Duy Ly American Clocks volume 2.
They are pretty scarce and most are found in poor condition due to neglect.
This particular model with the standard 140 beat movement is especially difficult to find and the only one I have seen configured this way.
Best regards,
Jim

Reactions: PatH

Jmeechie

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2010
Country
Region
Very interesting setup! Just curious, was the power source external? Was the intent by SWCC to market this style to upper management offices tied into the synchronizing circuit?
Defiantly a very interesting and unusual clock!
Cheers,
James

jkfabulos

NAWCC Member
Aug 21, 2001
They have three removable cast iron panels on the back which are almost always missing. These panels cover compartments for the batteries one left one right and the movement in the center.
On this particular one you can note the two holes drilled for the incoming synchronizing wires near the top. This was most likely an option for the user.
These clocks are shown in factory drawings as part of a system used in homes and or business applications and although I have not found one I assume could be had as slaves.

SW18.jpg SW19.jpg

Reactions: PatH and Jmeechie

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Thanks for sharing and providing detail. It's great to get to see photos of this clock!

Scot Traffis

NAWCC Member
Apr 8, 2011
parma oh
Country
Region
Very nice and unusual clock. Always enjoy the pictures you post. You find some very interesting clocks and do an excellent restoration.

jkfabulos

NAWCC Member
Aug 21, 2001
Very nice and unusual clock. Always enjoy the pictures you post. You find some very interesting clocks and do an excellent restoration.
Thanks for the kind words. I really enjoy saving some of these relics.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Victor B.
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit