• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's lines in the Columbia, PA area. We are working on the immediate issue with Comcast and are also working on a long term plan that will eliminate our reliance on Comcast. Thank you for your patience.

Electric WW Casio Wave Ceptor Marching to its own Time

fijidad

Feb 28, 2010
Escondido, CA
Country
Region

I've been staring at this for months now, watching it keep time...in some other universe. Certainly not PST.

I've watched the videos and have been able to set it to the correct time manually, only to have it return to its "own" time at some pre-appointed point, known only by it.

Now, it could be that this thing is toast, and I could live with that. But, I'm curious if there is a way to reset it to the original factory settings, or set the hands at zero, or some such, so that it could then gain its footing in my reality. I'm wondering if someone has messed with the hands, and more importantly, is there a way to un-mess them?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Casio Wave Ceptor.JPG

fijidad

Feb 28, 2010
Escondido, CA
Country
Region
How long since the battery was changed? Are you able to remove the battery?
Good question. I have not replaced it and don't have its service history. The asking price is about $40 for a replacement CTL920, and I'd hate to go to that expense if there was a "reset" function I could perform.

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
When you say it does keep its own time do you mean it runs as in a different time zone or just keeps poor time?

I understand things right this is a radio controlled type watch and I have one (I actually found it thrown away at a recycling plant!). (My Wave Ceptor has a digital and analog display.) I set it manually but the next morning it had jumped to its own time zone. I tried setting it several times but it lived its own life. I was about to throw it out when I downloaded a manual and started playing with the settings related to "Daylight Saving Time" and "Time Zones".

If I remember correctly it receives new time during the night e.g. 12 and 4 o'clock.
I don't remember exactly what settings I used, but it has been running perfectly now for some 6 months.......

It should be easy to find a manual on line that decribes how the settings are made...... Give it a try. If nothing else you should be able to set it manually and turn off the radio setting mode.

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
Good question. I have not replaced it and don't have its service history. The asking price is about $40 for a replacement CTL920, and I'd hate to go to that expense if there was a "reset" function I could perform.
I was merely thinking, try taking the battery out leave it for a bit or maybe at the right time of day before you put it back in. A bit like turning it off and on again? Anyway, I have no experience with these radio controlled clocks otherwise.

Tim Orr

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Donor
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good morning, Fijidad!

I have a Casio WaveCeptor too, but it is not like the one you picture. First question I would ask is whether the minute hand is properly indicating the minutes past the hour. If it is, I'd bet it's not a battery problem.

Mine uses a battery, not a rechargeable capacitor, but I found, when I looked up the instruction manual online, that mine was capable of receiving only the radio time signals from Japan (and maybe someplace else, Germany? UK?). It was not set up to receive the signals from WWVB here in the U.S. Something like that anyway. It has been a long time. That's probably why someone got rid of it. I found mine in a thrift store, dead and dirt cheap.

I was able to fiddle with it and bias it so that I could get it to keep the right time for my time zone, but it did reset itself – though only the hour hand. You may wish to check online to see if yours is capable of receiving the WWVB signal.

Best regards!

Tim Orr

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Country
Region
Getting your Atomic Time (A-T) watch to synchronize in Australia is possible, but unfortunately it’s not as easy as the rest of the world. Twentytwoten.com take a look at the options you have if you just cant say no to that Atomic Time watch.

Watches and clocks which possess Atomic Time synchronization abilities receive and demodulate long wave radio frequencies emitted from atomic time keeping sources and update your devices display time accordingly. The frequencies are emitted from centralized towers in most countries.

Will My Atomic Time Watch Work (Synchronize) In Australia?

Radio Time Pulse Emulator - Set your Radio Controlled watch

Remember this.. Because I knew that this stuff is limited to real pen upside down in top pocket nerds in Australia, that I should try a search that included the word Australia.
and that's not why they don't have kangaroos in Austria.

Last edited:

Tim Orr

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Donor
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good afternoon, all!

Checked mine this morning. Minute and seconds indication correct. Hour advanced by two hours. Date correct. Set last at least a year ago. Beats me what it's syncing to, if at all.

Instructions for mine indicate it does not sync to WWVB in Fort Collins.

Best regards!

Tim

fijidad

Feb 28, 2010
Escondido, CA
Country
Region
Fort Collins, Colorado.

Since your watch seems to adjust itself, it would make sence that it indeed picks up a signal.....
It's hard to tell if it picks up a signal. The time it keeps is not just the wrong hour, but it's off my about 20 minutes too. I would at least have a theory if it was off by an hour or two but the minutes being off leave me no place to go. Last night I pulled the battery out, cleaned the electrical contacts and put it back in, and touched the top to A/C for two seconds as instructed on the inside of the watch cover....and now it's completely dead. So the plot thickens. Or maybe the story is over altogether.

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
Minute and seconds indication correct. Hour advanced by two hours.
That is the same problem I had initially. My way of "fixing" it was to fiddle with the "City" and "Daylight Savings" settings to compensate for the offset.

I don't remember exactly what I did but I want to remember I used a different city and also turned off or on the daylight savongs function. I do remember it did not feel all logical at the time but the watch is still today keeping perfect time!

It's hard to tell if it picks up a signal.
If the watch is adjusting itself it must have something to adjust to! If it is drifting on its own it should change the same amount of hours and minutes every time you check. If it is adjusting itself it should do one adjustment and then keep the same amount of "error" over time.

Could you possibly try it with the auto adjustment "turned off". If you put the watch in a tin can with a lid on it should not pick up any radio signal.

I hope you get it running again and that you figure out what is wrong.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I have two wave ceptor Casio watches. One is easy to use and receives the signal fine. The other one i cant seem to get it to run properly, it did seem to search for a signal but never locked on one. Afyer trying to adjust and get radio signal, i stopped trying. Now it has not set the new time, time change in the Spring and is one hour and 10 mins off. Maybe just try to set the time manually for now. Or get a new battery, its about 2 years old.

fijidad

Feb 28, 2010
Escondido, CA
Country
Region
This thing is on hold for now because when I took the battery out to test it on my battery tester, and reinstalled it, and touched A/C for two seconds...it's now dead as a door nail. I'll see if it charges back up. If not, then I have to decide if I want to spend the $40 for a new battery. Ouch.

Reactions: Kevin W.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I have been wondering about mine. maybe i need to order a new battery, but it shows fully charged.

fijidad

Feb 28, 2010
Escondido, CA
Country
Region
Found the manual and there is no reset process that I could find for his Wave Ceptor. I'm wondering....what if this watch were to be serviced; that is fully disassembled and then reassembled, and the hands removed and then replaced. How would one make sure the hands were installed correctly to be properly aligned with all the functions this movement has to offer?

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Country
Region
Found the manual and there is no reset process that I could find for his Wave Ceptor. I'm wondering....what if this watch were to be serviced; that is fully disassembled and then reassembled, and the hands removed and then replaced. How would one make sure the hands were installed correctly to be properly aligned with all the functions this movement has to offer?
That should all be in the service manual supplied by the manufacturer, if the importer actually ever asked for it or received it.

fijidad

Feb 28, 2010
Escondido, CA
Country
Region
That is the same problem I had initially. My way of "fixing" it was to fiddle with the "City" and "Daylight Savings" settings to compensate for the offset.

I don't remember exactly what I did but I want to remember I used a different city and also turned off or on the daylight savongs function. I do remember it did not feel all logical at the time but the watch is still today keeping perfect time!

If the watch is adjusting itself it must have something to adjust to! If it is drifting on its own it should change the same amount of hours and minutes every time you check. If it is adjusting itself it should do one adjustment and then keep the same amount of "error" over time.

Could you possibly try it with the auto adjustment "turned off". If you put the watch in a tin can with a lid on it should not pick up any radio signal.

I hope you get it running again and that you figure out what is wrong.
It works! I did the old "Look over there! Is that a tarantula?!" thing with it. When it looked over there, I pushed several buttons and now it's keeping time!

For whatever reason the manual reset I performed worked, when earlier attempts had not. I presume I didn't have my glasses on at the time, but whatever....I just hope I don't have to deal with it again. That joke usually only works once....

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
Congratulations.

I don't want to sound negative but you might have one check left......Daylight Savings Time shift.

I had mine working for a while after my fiddling but it failed with the DST shift. That's when I did the "last" adjustment and changed the DST settings. Now it rund fine (Touch wood!).

You could scroll through the settings and make a note of them to keep until next battery change.

As for the question about setting the hands I have a vague memory from reading a manual (can't recall which model) where you could zero the hands individually. That possibly could work also for setting the hands after a service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JJLEBOATBABE
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-