• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's lines in the Columbia, PA area. We are working on the immediate issue with Comcast and are also working on a long term plan that will eliminate our reliance on Comcast. Thank you for your patience.

Electric WW Casio solar wristwatch

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I have a 2 year old Casio solar charged watch that no longer holds a charge for an acceptable amount of time. Do I need a new battery already??

Philip Bayer

May 23, 2006
These watches don't use a battery per se, it is actually a capacitor. I don't usually work on non-mechanical watches, but I was asked to take a look at one of these before with the same problem. I replaced the $25 capacitor, and it did not 'fix' the problem.

I gave up at that point, since they are otherwise just a circuit board which I know nothing about. Perhaps the charging circuit fail in these?

Philip

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Thanks for the reply, Philip. The instructions that came with the watch say that this model does have a rechargable battery, #CTL1616. I can replace this watch for under $50.00, but I really expected longer than 2 years out of this battery. The internal light stopped working after one year, so maybe the quality just isn't there in this one. I am hard on watches, so spending money on an expensive watch would be a waste. This one says it is module # 2531, if that helps identify it.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Philip, what does this capacitor look like? Is it similar to a button battery?
Since this didn't cure the problem on the one you worked on, I will likely pass on it. If I put my watch under a 60 watt light bulb for an hour or so, it is good for a couple of days. I think Santa may have a new watch for me:thumb:

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Well, I replaced that battery/capacitor a couple of weeks ago, and it seems to be working fine now. Total cost, $5.00. Hardest part of the job was getting the watchband off to get to the screws on the back (I'm not a watch guy).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ralphallais
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-