Casio G-Shock Rocks!

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Keith Lehman, Apr 19, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Felinetics

Felinetics New Member

Apr 17, 2017
    Country Flag:
    We have the same watch! I'm also collecting G-shock!

2. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Everything Casio is absolute rubbish from the point of view of a repairer. I see at least 20 a week that need to be chucked in the bin.
    Not worth the time it takes to change a battery in.

3. Accutronica

Accutronica Registered User

Nov 21, 2016
    disabled
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  4. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    They are 'orrible things. They wouldn't exist except for the fact that people actually buy rubbish.

5. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
  6. Bard

Bard Registered User

Nov 18, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I like those negative displays..

I've nothing against them.. everybody needs a watch that goes beep beep. Just not my style.

[​IMG]

Gogo Casio if you dig it!

[​IMG]

7. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Where will your Casio be in a 100 years. No thanks i will stick with mechanical movements.:)

8. Accutronica

Nov 21, 2016
    disabled
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    "There's a sucker born every minute."
    - P. T. Barnum

9. Bard

Bard Registered User

Nov 18, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Oh, for sure, I agree Kevin W.

Though I appreciate them in the way that I wouldn't mind as much swinging it into something at work.. losing it.. from what I've read and from youtube reviews the general feeling is that g-shocks are great beaters, durable.

10. dAz57

dAz57 Registered User

Dec 7, 2011
    watchmaker
    sydney Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I usually recommend them to some customers to wear because they are tough, water resistant and cheap, this so they stop wearing their expensive watches when in the garden, working on the car or boat etc, better they destroy that than a vintage gold Longines with a smashed in glass, luckily the dial was still ok.

I have a Casio triple sensor Pro-Trek solar in titanium, must be ten years old now, still works, I only use it when I go fishing or ride a bush trail on the mountain bike, I don't wear it much because I prefer mechanical vintage watches.

11. karlmansson

karlmansson Registered User

Apr 20, 2013
    Doctor
    Linköping, Sweden
    Country Flag:
    I guess it begs the question what a good Watch really is. Swatch built their whole business around that people don't Always have a need, or want, for a nice Watch. If it keeps time, can take a beating and you like the looks of it, what's not to like? But as you say roughbarked, the repairers view is a different scenery.

I'm not personally a fan of the disposable Culture at all and tend to carry my mechanical watches when conditions allow. I do however have a couple of Casios that are "adventure watches" that I can afford to lose, get stolen or in general subject to the World at large.

12. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a few quartz watches too, when doing rough work, most likely i would wear it. When puttering around in my work shop i usually wear on of my mechanical pocket watches.

13. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Quite a lot of quartz watches are robustly constructed. I prefer to wear these. As I've pointed out, Casios have band and case problems far too often for my liking and they are unrepairable. Often as not changing the battery is an inconveniently long process making it an uneconomic proposition for any repairer. I do charge more and often as not tell them to set it themselves. I often cannot fix them because the seal needs replacing and seals are not available.

14. harold bain

harold bain Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    self-employed in the clock business
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    These watches are cheap enough to be considered disposable, as most repairs would cost more than the original cost of the watch.

15. captainscarlet

captainscarlet Registered User

Oct 15, 2013
    British Army RTD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Disposable? Some people must have more disposable funds than others:cuckoo:
    [​IMG]
    Yours for $6200 USD.
    I have to say that many of the guys in my old squad wore G Shocks and swore by them. Go anywhere, do anything Tool watches that perform well in the field and unless you are in the market for one of the above, easily replaceable.

16. harold bain

harold bain Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    self-employed in the clock business
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Last time I checked, Casio watches were under $100.

17. dAz57

dAz57 Registered User

Dec 7, 2011
    watchmaker
    sydney Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Everything from $20 to several grand, the Pro-Trek and Mr G $300 and up, Casio caters for all the market.

Personally I rather spend a couple of hundred bucks on a G-Shock and know I can beat the clap out of it because it's pretty much bulletproof than spend $1200 on a Tissot t-touch and then face a $600 full service a couple of years later just because one of the buttons fell off.

18. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    They sell Casio at the chemist. They don't supply parts to chemists or watchmakers.

19. karlmansson

karlmansson Registered User

Apr 20, 2013
    Doctor
    Linköping, Sweden
    Country Flag:
    Unfortunately, that's also the viewpoint of many people who pick up rather nice, mechanical watches at fleamarkets and such. But then again they aren't bought brand new.

20. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    I call myself roughbarked for many reasonings not the least that I often lose a lot of bark and subsequently am quite calloused. I've spent a lot of time with hands in water. Though rarely with a watch on and if it is, you can be sure that I'm watching not to get it wet.

21. dAz57

dAz57 Registered User

Dec 7, 2011
    watchmaker
    sydney Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah I don't know if the situation has changed, one of the problems with Casio here was there were 3 importers of the watches, and each had a different range, it got to the stage the parts supplier in Sydney found it was too much of a hassle which agent has the part so they just stopped selling Casio parts and you had to deal with agent direct, the largest agent sold parts but the others didn't bother.

22. Accutronica

Nov 21, 2016
    disabled
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    All I know is that if I spend $1000 or more on a watch it's going to be solid platinum or solid gold. Anyone that spends that much on a rubber/plastic watch with a $10 movement in it has something wrong with them IMHO.

23. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    I haven't bothered but my predecessor had quite a few contacts and he was unable to even get a single set of setting instructions.

Yet the AJA magazine states that the top three brands of watches in the world are Seiko Citizen and Casio.

I know that the first two provide movements to all the fake Rolexes that don't contain a Chinese movement.

24. dAz57

dAz57 Registered User

Dec 7, 2011
    watchmaker
    sydney Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The manuals are available online

If you have the money they will sell you the movements, they don't care where the movements get used, which is exactly what ETA used to do before they got up themselves and wanted to make their own fakes err brands.

25. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Yes. It is all about money.