Cases with Faces.

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by MrRoundel, Apr 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I doubt he is listening, more's the pity.

2. PapaLouies

PapaLouies Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Country Flag:
    A beautiful artistic image!
    PL

Keith R... likes this.
  3. Allan C. Purcell

Allan C. Purcell Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Happy New Year to you and yours PL.

Allan.

4. Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Since Mr Roundel, started this thread quite a lot of water has gone under the bridge. What happened after I posted the attractive lady on a watch case, now has a thread of its own, and I read through it today. Made good reading, and I have a different perspective now. One member mentioned that we were living in the past, with the attitude of the '50s, that could well be right in some cases, but my judgement when posting that watch, was the age of the watch. That may sound like, you say that now, but it is true. I could fill this thread with hundreds of watches painted with the sins of mankind (that includes women). Though after reading the other thread I decided to re-open this one, and this time I hope it will show that art is in the eye of the beholder, and thoughts on the images could be treaded in that way too. Art on watch cases tells us over hundreds of years our own story. We should appreciate their talent.

I have chosen copies from the book photographed below, it is in German and English, and if you find a copy it will be well worth the effort. I left out the sins and chose the lady on the French Onion, and the keys are for the ladies. Allan.

IMG_8156[1].JPG IMG_8158[1].JPG IMG_8159[1].JPG IMG_8161[1].JPG IMG_8162[1].JPG IMG_8163[1].JPG

musicguy, Keith R... and viclip like this.
  5. Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gold enamelled watch
    by Johann H. Luemer,
    Nüremberg, circa 1740, Work number 353.

v-16.JPG

The inside of the gold enamelled case of this watch is painted and shows, a farmyard and a wayfarer.
    Landscapes are shown in four medallions on the side of the watch, The enamel painting on the back of the watch depicts a country smithy.
    The dial, also in enamel, has Roman and Arabic numerals and shows the date. The hour and minute hands are made from gold and are pierced and
    engraved. the iron date hand is distinguished by its exceptional slenderness. The movement has a verge escapement with chain and fusee.
    The balance cock is pierced and decorated with foliate scroll-work. A small ruby stone acts as the end stone.

More to follow. Allan

6. Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gold enamelled watcg
    by Alexander Cumming (1732-1814)
    London, circa 1780
    Work Number 642.

The side of the gold enamelled case of the watch is embellished with flowers of Rococo designs.
    The enamel painting in the centre of the case shows the calif Harun al-Rashid who, dressed as a beggar,
    is mingling with people in the manner related by an oriental legend. The white enamelled dial has Roman numerals.
    The movement on the watch has a Verge escapement with chain and Fusee. the balance cock is pierced and is decorated with strapwork.

v-17.JPG

Ethan Lipsig, Keith R... and viclip like this.
  7. Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gold Enamelled watch,
    without signature,
    Geneve, circa 1780.

Both sides of the watch are bordered by a ring of 54 half-pearls. A young couple coming out of a wood
    are shown on translucent enamel, a lake and mountains in the background. The radiate engine-turning
    produces the effect of a sunset. The white enamelled dial has Arabic numerals and gold, pierced hands.
    The movement has Verge escapement with chain and fusee and a pierced balance cock with steel cover plates.

v-18.JPG

Ethan Lipsig, Keith R... and viclip like this.
  8. Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Porcelain watch by Graham
    London 1740.
    (Württenbergisches Landesmuseum Stuttgart (formerly Landesgewerbemuseum) cat. No. 19.28.

The housing comprises a porcelain shell and a porcelain ring in a gilded setting decorated with foliage designs.
    A heroic allegory is depicted on the gold ground of the shell, three pairs of putti on clouds on the bezel.
    The enamel painting of the allegory shows Pax, the Goddess of Peace, with palm and laurel wreath, she has
    overcome two armed warriors and two cherubs with garland and torch above her.
    The white enamelled dial has Roman and Arabic numerals and a minute chapter ring. the iron hands are shaped.
    The movement has a Verge escapement with chain and fusee and a pierced balance cock decorated with leaf
    ornamentation and Rococo designs. The small end stone is held by an arm.

(Its a pity the movement cannot be seen). Allan

v-19.JPG

Keith R..., viclip and Ethan Lipsig like this.
  9. Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gold enamelled watch
    By Jean Baptiste Baillon
    Paris, circa 1750.

The back of the gold enamelled case shows men sitting at a table in an inn "after Teniers". little flowers
    are painted on the bezel. The side of the case is engraved and decorated in Roccoco designs.
    The white enamelled dial has Roman numerals for the hours and Arabic numerals at five-minute intervals
    from 5 to 60.
    Gold Pierced hands show the time. The movement has a verge escapement with chain and Fusee.
    The pierced balance cock is embellished with scrollwork and has steel cover plates.
    The 1/4 hour repeater striking train is operated by pressing, and the striking train can be changed from bell to dumb repetition.
    The watch has a round key.

IMG_8169[1].JPG

v-20.JPG I have put this on for clarity. Allan

10. Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    These allegorical stories that these watches tell us, are today very hard to read. Having said that the one above with the lads down at the pub, is quite clear, and nothing much as changed since it was painted. The chap in the left corner urinating, made me laugh, at least we went outside. I remember when young, that ladies unaccompanied were not allowed inside, and there was a lounge for married couples. (not much used)

Then the others above, I have real problems, probably lack of education. I had never heard of Pax, till today, I will look her up (I now know why I have so many books, and a shelf full of encyclopedias) Anyway have fun, and if those educated people would like to join in please do, it will save me time.

Best wishes,

Allan.

11. Shawn Moulder

Shawn Moulder Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is a Longines with a nice enamel diamond face.

20200502_161851.jpg 20200502_162000.jpg

12. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is gorgeous! Longines really had some very artistic and stylized cases.

Keith R... and Allan C. Purcell like this.