Casemaker's marks

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Mike Kearney, Feb 24, 2001.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mike Kearney

Mike Kearney Guest

I was taking apart an old, square, 10K RGP Wittnauer WW this afternoon, getting it ready for a trip through the cleaning machine. I noticed inside the back it was stamped 'cased and timed in the USA by Wittnauer' in what I suppose is a Keystone case, at least it has a keystone insignia with a C inside and an O inside the C. And as usual, there were what looked like Roman numerals hand-scribed on the back inside of the bezel.

I've seen Roman numerals on watch case parts of many WW's and PW's, both American and Swiss. Not just old watches, but even early 60's Bulovas. (Have I been working too close to the cleaning solution?) Can anyone tell me more about these marks? Any good references?

Regards,
    Mike

2. Mike Kearney

Mike Kearney Guest

I was taking apart an old, square, 10K RGP Wittnauer WW this afternoon, getting it ready for a trip through the cleaning machine. I noticed inside the back it was stamped 'cased and timed in the USA by Wittnauer' in what I suppose is a Keystone case, at least it has a keystone insignia with a C inside and an O inside the C. And as usual, there were what looked like Roman numerals hand-scribed on the back inside of the bezel.

I've seen Roman numerals on watch case parts of many WW's and PW's, both American and Swiss. Not just old watches, but even early 60's Bulovas. (Have I been working too close to the cleaning solution?) Can anyone tell me more about these marks? Any good references?

Regards,
    Mike

3. Mike Kearney

Mike Kearney Guest

Wayne, looks like you're right on. Inside the case back are stamped the arabic numbers 5057198. The Roman numerals scribed inside the bezel are I VIIII VII. Given your explanation of the convention, that's 197, which is close enough. Thanks!

Regards,
    Mike