Case sizes?

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by jess tauber, Jan 16, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jess tauber

jess tauber Registered User

Dec 24, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I posted some months back about a C.W. Co. movement I was trying to identify the manufacturer of, with no luck. Google search seems to indicate there was a C.W. jewelry company located in the US midwest back in the day, which might be the retailer- the logo WAS only on the dial, with nothing but a nearly-polished-off serial number on the movement itself. There is an escutcheon for a company or personal name on the movement also, but that seems to have been polished off as well. What I want to ask is about the proper sized case I would need to house this movement (which has been running well and accurately since I bought it). With a ruler (I REALLY need to buy a micrometer) the diameter is 1 1/4 inches- one chart I found online indicates this as corresponding to a case between 2s and 3s, while on ebay 32mm movements are listed as size 00 in some instances. Help please- thanks!

Jess Tauber

2. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    Crescent Watch Case Co (CWCC) is/was a well-known maker of watch cases in America. If you search that forum you'll find hundreds of posts about them.

If the watch you are trying to size is American, I suggest that you post your request there. And by the way, I certainly wouldn't depend on Ebay to help you size a movement! ;)

3. jess tauber

jess tauber Registered User

Dec 24, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks- though I don't believe C.W.Co is related to CWCC. In any case (groan...) the movement is very much Swiss- with a regulator arm that looks a lot like an 1890's Gallet design, just as the escutcheon does. I haven't seen another one like it in a decade of following Swiss pocketwatch auctions on Ebay. It is a stem-wind movement.

Jess Tauber