Case question

Candew

Mar 8, 2013
Michigan
Country
I just purchased a Columbia (N.Y. Standard) that is in a case with just an arm and hammer in a four sided diamond trademark and a serial number. I know both Philidelphia and later Keystone used that trade mark. From what I have sound some are gold filled and some are brass. Is there any way to tell which is which like perhaps the gold filled would have a warranted for x number of years? Also any way to tell which of the companies may have made it?

Thanks,

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
The Philadelphia Perfection (Arm & Hammer trade mark) cases (see pages 2-4) are not gold-filled, they are gold plated and aren't guaranteed at all. These cases were marked by Philadelphia 'bundled' with New York Standard movements for under $4 for the complete watch.

I suspect that the Arm & Hammer trade mark cases that appear to be brass are ones from which the thin gold plating worn off, but people tell me otherwise, citing the lack of plating on the insides of the cases.

Candew

Mar 8, 2013
Michigan
Country
Thanks Kent. I suspect you are right that it is indeed plated as it does not appear to me to be solid brass. I knew this was a low end movement and fgured it would also be a low end case.

onsite

NAWCC Member
Mar 6, 2011
CehNehDeh
Country
Region
There are two different Arm & Hammer logos. The one on the left is a poorer quality case often found with the cheap Swiss (Time Ball Special) and American (I have seen these with NY Standard) movements. Notice the striations and how the hand actually goes around thee hammer handle.

Many carry the 25 year stamp that was obviously applied after they left the Factory.

They came in both hunter and SB&B.
The ones I have were gold plated very thinly at one time, even on the inside. The same quality case can also be found stamped Tornado. Screen Shot 2013-10-08 at 7.46.35 AM copy.jpg

The one on the right is a Philadelphia Perfection case and although I don't own one I understand them to be a much better quality more heavily plated case. A less realistic rendition of an Arm & Hammer but a better case.

Last edited:

Candew

Mar 8, 2013
Michigan
Country
Thanks onsite. I am pretty sure mine is the Perfection case but I am at work and the watch is at home. I will check later but thanks for the pictures of the two different styles.

onsite

NAWCC Member
Mar 6, 2011
CehNehDeh
Country
Region
Here is a better comparison shot. Screen Shot 2013-10-08 at 8.40.56 AM copy.jpg Cheapo on the left, Philadelphia Perfection on the right.

Candew

Mar 8, 2013
Michigan
Country
Turns out it matches the one on the left, oh well, nice to know for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellaurin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-