Case Parts - Welch Cary

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by Dick C, Jun 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Searching for the part outlined in red for this E.N. Welch Cary clock case.

Willing to take the complete top, with or without, the finial if that is the only option.

Thanks for any help here.

Dick C. Missing Part.jpg

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That might be a tough one, Dick. If you have the other one (it's a separate piece, yes?) you could make a copy using something like Alumilite to duplicate it. Then you'd have to match the color. Otherwise, you may have a long wait for a donor clock.

3. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I do have the other one and knew that I am taking a chance and thanks for the link to alumilite. May have to go the alumilite route or have it crafted in wood.

Thank you.

4. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    As an expansion of my search for this E N Welch Cary VP top piece, is there:

1. A woodworker out there that has created the arch (hotdog as some describe it) and the finials?

I am in need of 3 finials and two arches.

2. What species of rosewood would Welch have used to create these tops? Or, which Country would the rosewood have been sourced from?

Here are the two that are broken:

IMG_1345.JPG IMG_1346.JPG

5. D.th.munroe

D.th.munroe Registered User
    Donor

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    Full time clock and watchmaker
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Dick
    If your not in a hurry I can recreate those from my Cary when I get my woodshop back, right now my mother-in-law is using it as emergency storage. Although the little finials on yours seem to be a tiny bit different.
    Dan

15658527785685247825617822031462.jpg

6. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I thank you for the offer. I have been able to obtain a parts case with the pieces that I need.

Regards,
    Dick