Case Idenification PLEASE

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by LStratton, Jan 18, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. LStratton

LStratton Registered User

Sep 14, 2000
    Male
    retired, see biography
    Longmont, CO the banana belt of Colorado
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Can someone please identify this case mark? This is the only markings in this wonderful 8s case holding a Waltham Riverside. It is a raised (not engraved) right facing lion and the number 940 below the lion. Gold or just gold filled? Thanks in advance for any info, it is much appreciated.

CaseMark-1.JPG CaseMark-2.JPG

2. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    my experience with these types of marks are that they are generally underkarated 18k, My hunch is that is an american maker.

3. MrRoundel

MrRoundel Registered User
    Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have an 1857 model Waltham KW that has a case with a lion mark that is similar. That said, it, as well as most of the others I've noted over the years, has the lion facing the left. And mine too is believed to be a lower karat than 18K, but still solid karat gold. Mine also has a crown with a cross on the top that is in a mark right next to it. That mark was known to have denoted 18K gold overseas. I've seen other gold cases with the left-facing lion and crown, or one or the other, on early Walthams, E. Howard & Co., and Elgin pocket watches. And I have seen the same left-facing lion on cases made by W.P. & Co. Again, the right-facing lion I don't recall seeing, which may mean nothing for all I know. Good luck. Cheers.

4. LStratton

LStratton Registered User

Sep 14, 2000
    Male
    retired, see biography
    Longmont, CO the banana belt of Colorado
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just had this case tested with a Kee gold tester and it tested a little over 14k. Could this be correct as I believe these electronic testers may not be accurate?

5. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kee is made for quick sorting of scrap gold. We have several for quick sorting but 100% cannot rely on for exact cararting and iot even shows heavy gold filled as karat gold.

Jeff